The Past (4 hours later)

I expected to wake up in a cold place, a bad place, a place I would hate to be in. But I didn't. I woke up in a soft place, warm, comforting. I open my eyes slowly, and I'm greeted by a sight I didn't recognize. The ceiling of a hospital. That's a new feeling for me, whenever any of us were injured in combat, we'd be sent to the medical ray and that was it. No special treatment or anything. I sat up in my bed and felt nothing harmful. I used a hand and reached to my back, where my scar was. Stitched up, fixed and healed. I wanted to know who did this. I wanted to thank them. Just then a familiar voice struck my ears.

-"Oh good, you're awake. You were out for a long time." I heard a voice say.

     I looked to my side and saw a cute, familiar looking girl in a nurse outfit.

     She seemed very kind and friendly at first glance. Was she the one who stitched me up? I had to know what was happening. I attempted to step out of my bed but fell to my knees, surgery anesthetics still wearing off. She helped me get back on my feet.

-"Take it easy mister, recovery takes time. Besides, you're going to have a visitor today." she said in a calming voice.

     She had already earned my trust, but what does she mean by "visitor"? Just as I sat back up on the bed, the door burst open.

-"Compa! Please tell me he's at lea-" she stopped mid-sentence when she saw me.

-"He's fine now Iffy, he just needs a while to rest after the surgery." "Compa" said

     She was now standing in a very formal pose and facing me. What was up with her?

-"Ummm, what are you doing?" I asked her.

-"Simply maintaining protocol, sir." The one called "Iffy" said.

-"What...What are you talking about?" I said weakly.

-"Sir, do you...not remember your rank?" she asked.

-"Rank? What are you saying? I'm in a covert position, no one should know about me." I said.

     Compa and Iffy merely exchanged looks. I sat there confused.

-"I think it's time to reintroduce yourself, sir." Iffy said.

     Compa handed me my military uniform and they both stepped out of the room.

-"What is going on here?" I asked myself.

     I put on the uniform that, surprisingly, fit me perfectly and stepped out of the room also. They were waiting. 

-"What is it you wanted to show me?" I asked.

-"Follow us." Compa said.

     They lead me through the completely unfamiliar HQ. They had changed everything in my absence. We walked past a bunch of various rooms, each used for a specific purpose. It doesn't matter whether I think it's crazy or not, I must maintain composure. I don't want to give off the impression that I'm someone who's stuck in the past. They led me down a hall until we reached a door that had the words "Hall of Fame" written on it. We entered and I looked around. There were fellow soldiers that died, I remember some of these guys. They were all called by their iconic code name. "Flamer", "X-Nav", "Recker" and "Bulk" are a few of the ones I served alongside of. The two stopped in front of a painting of someone I didn't recognize. Iffy walked closer and pressed a button on the frame. It seemed as though the very wall came to life like an old piece of machinery. The painting flipped around, the wall compacted in on itself and spotlights shined on something that resembled a pedestal. On the painting...was me. The two stepped back while I walked closer. I read the list of battles that I've been through, some of which I forgot about. There was one I didn't recognize at all. It was labeled: "The battle for the Ice Age" It was the last one listed. I instantly knew what that meant. It was the mission that I, along with everybody else, was KIA. Holding back the memories, I looked at the painting of me again. It had my lifespan written on a copper plate. As I was about to turn to leave, Iffy walked up to the painting, unscrewed the lifespan plate and threw it in the trash.

-"Welcome back, Logan." she said, arm extended, hand open.

     She expected a handshake. I heard footsteps behind me getting closer. I suddenly felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my torso. Compa was hugging me.

-"You will come back, right?" I heard her say.

     I remained silent, motionless...for the memories had already arrived. Replaying in my head nonstop. My eyes were locked onto nothing in particular, they just wouldn't move. Iffy seemed to take notice.

-"Logan?" Iffy asked.

-"..." I didn't speak.

-"Hey! Logan! You alright?" Iffy asked again.

     My legs couldn't handle the stress. The sounds, the screams, it all replayed.

-"Iffy! He's going critical! Help me!" I heard Compa say.

     I didn't realize I was already on the floor until Compa said something again.

-"His heart is going crazy nurse Compa! I've never seen this sort of erraticism in someone!" I heard a male voice say.

     My hearing and vision faded as I saw the two girls along with a team of doctors doing their best. Is now my time?