I Have To Go Back (2 weeks later)

Things have changed a lot and that's not including that my return to the military was a bit odd. I also don't remember much that happened before my post at the polar ice cap base. I accepted the offer that IF gave me. I spent mornings doing patrols alone, and I spent my afternoons helping out the nurse, Compa, in whatever way I could. Call me a renegade if you want, I know what I must do. However, I still am haunted by my past. It's the very reason I chose to take patrols with me, myself and a few drones. The reason my squad had died before was because of a stupid error I had made in the past. A mistake...that I do not intend to make again! It's strange, I still feel as if there's something wrong, something incomplete, forgotten. No time for that now, I have to get these new syringes to Compa. Once I arrived, Compa seemed very worried about something.

-"Compa? What's wrong?" I asked, putting down the box.

-"Oh! Logan! It's...it's just that there's this man who went into critical condition today and I can't do anything to help. It reminds me of when you were in surgery. I just wanted so badly to-" I finished her sentence for her, seeing as I saw little droplets of water leaking from her eyes.

-"Help out. I know." I said, stepping closer to her.

-"Yes, *sob* and...and seeing him in so much pain..." she didn't finish her sentence, I did for her.

-"You wanted to do something. It's okay, it's normal to want to help someone. But you've already done all you can right? Now it's time for the doctors to do their best as well. I'm sure that man will be okay in the end. He might go through trials and pain now, but he will survive in the end...and that's what matters." I said in a reassuring tone, putting my hands on her shoulders.

     She sobbed a few times before throwing her arms around me.

-"Thank you Logan." she said, her face against my chest.

-"Anytime Compa." I said, rustling my hand through her hair.

     We stayed in that same position for a while until she parted, leaving my shirt a bit damp. 

-"Thanks Logan, I...I feel a bit better thanks to you." she said.

-"Anytime you need me, for any reason, come find me." I said.

-"I will."

     I got a call on my radio.

-"Logan! You haven't forgotten about the shipments have you?" I heard the truck driver say.

-"Of course not, I'm coming back for the next load." I said into the comms.

     I looked back to Compa.

-"Looks like I gotta go." I said.

-"You go, you got work to do. I do too." Compa said softly.

-"Will you be alright?" I asked.

-"I'll be fine, now go." she said in a somewhat orderly but playful tone.

     With a wave, I left the room to help with the rest of the cargo.

THE NEXT DAY

     Instead of going on my usual patrol, IF called me over to her place. Yeah, not her office, her place, which was a room in the Basilicom. I had to oblige since I really didn't have a choice. I arrived early in the morning and knocked on her door. No response. I knocked again and called this time.

-"IF? You asked for me?" I asked.

     Still no response. I slowly opened the door and looked inside. No one was in here. The lights were on and the room looked nice.