TWO

Chapter Two
-

I woke up with a smile and I was practically dancing as I got ready for the day. My stomach was filled with butterflies and I couldn't even eat. But I stuffed my food down so that I wasn't too suspicious. James left ahead to walk with Billy and his friends. I got up and started picking up my books when my mother stopped me.

"Oh come here,Elizabeth. Look at your hair!" She drags me to the mirror and pulls half of my hair up into a pony tail and puts a light blue ribbon in my hair them braids the pony tail.

"That's better. Don't get sloppy,Elizabeth." I fight the urge to roll my eyes. I grab my things and bid my mother goodbye. I walk alone for a few minutes enjoying the cool air.

"Hi Eliza." I smile and look to see the one and only, Gilbert Blythe. His smile immediately made my morning a lot better.

"Good morning,Gilbert." I say and he smiles at me. Then I remember. I quickly take the coat off with a blush and hold it out for him to take.

"Sorry I um got a little chilly. Here's your coat. Thank you for letting me borrow it." He doesn't take it but instead pushes it back to me.

"It's still cold and the last thing I want is for you to catch a cold because of me. Put the coat back on. Besides it looks better on you." He winks at me and My face heats up and I slip the coat back on.

"So can you join me for some hot chocolate?" He asks and I nod fast and mentally scold myself for seeming to be too excited.

"Yes I can." I reply and we talk about ourselves until we reach the school. He insists that I keep the coat on because there is no warmth in the classroom. I have to say I am a little hesitant about it. We both walk in and once again everyone looks at me. I can feel the glares from the girls and I put my head up and try not to let their stares effect me.

I sit next to James and Mr. Phillips walks in and starts the lesson. A few minutes later Prissy Andrews walks in. I frown and shake my head. That couldn't be true. The rumors I have been hearing about them two must not be true.

I heard some whispering and I could see Ruby and Josie glancing at me and I roll my eyes. How ridiculous! Do they not have anything better to do?

Lunch finally came around and I didn't really know what to do. I wasn't the biggest fan of Billy so sitting with my brother was out of the question. I go sit under a tree and start eating by myself in comfortable peace. I see Josie and her friends walk towards me. Anne and her friends Diana stay seated looking oblivious to the situation that is about to happen.

"That's Gilbert's coat." Josie snarls and I nod, it's quite obvious I would think.

"It is." I reply calmly and take a bite of my fruit.

"Give it to me." She demands and I raise my eyebrows at her demand.

"Excuse me?" I ask with a light chuckle.Her face grows even more red, not liking the fact that I am laughing at her. Ruby looks sad and I can't help but pity the girl. I can't blame her for liking Gilbert but this isn't the way to go. This is like near obsessive and it's not right.

"I said. Give . Me . The coat. " She snarls in a almost deadly tone and I scoff at her attitude.

"No." I say. She takes a step towards me and I get ready to stand up and show this brat who she is messing with.

"Everything alright here,ladies?" They turn and I look over to see Gilbert. I practically sigh in relief when I see him and he gives me a look at if asking me ' are you okay.' I nod at him and he does a little nod back before looking at the girls once again.