NINE

Chapter Nine
-

I watched Gilbert from afar as he stood in front of his fathers grave. His jaw was clenched and his eyes looked red. I shiver from the coldness and James wraps an arm around me. I didn't know what to say to Gilbert. I don't understand what he's going through. His father just died.

Everyone starts to leave and James pats my shoulder and leaves with my parents. I take a deep breath before approaching him. I intertwine our fingers and he glances at me.

"I'm so sorry,Gilbert." I say and my voice cracks. He just nods. He looked so sad. I've never seen him like this and it broke my heart.

He then pulls me into his arms and hugs me. I feel him start to shake. Tears start to fall from my eyes.

"I miss him. I miss him so much and I don't know what to do." I squeeze him harder.

"I wish I could do something." I sob.

"You're here and that's all I need. I love you." He says and kisses me.

"I love you too." I whisper and we just stay in each other's arms.

____

It's been a few weeks since I've seen Gilbert. I've tried to see him but I always seem to miss him or he's locked up in his house. I do miss him. I can barely sleep knowing what my father is doing when he leaves every night and I see the newspaper about the mysterious murders.

I felt so alone and cold. I've never felt to alone. I mean James was here but he wasn't. He had his own life and I didn't want to bother him.

There's a knock on my door.

"Come in." I say and set my book down. James walks in slowly and sits on my bed.

"Hey." He says and i frown. Why is he acting...oddly?

"Hi." I reply.

"How are you doing?"

"Um fine. Why?" He shrugs and walks to the window.

"Just thought you would be upset about the whole Gilbert leaving and everything." I stand up.

"What did you just say?"I ask and I start to panic. Gilberts leaving? And he didn't tell me? Why is he even leaving? Leaving me.

"You didn't know?" Tears start to fall.

"He's leaving and he didn't tell me!" I grab my jacket and I run to Gilberts house. He was outside at his fathers grave.

"How could you!" I yell and he looks startled.

"Eliza-"

"I come to this town and I don't expect nor want to get close to anyone. But then you come and you completely turn my world around. You make me fall in love with you for only you to leave me!" Everything was blurry from my tears.

"Eliza,baby- I- I need to do this. For me. I lo-"

"Don't. Please don't." He looked so heartbroken.

"You want to leave then leave but don't come back. Don't expect me to be waiting because I won't. I guess we just weren't meant to be." I mumble the last part. I turn to walk away but Gilbert grabs my wrist and whirls me around. He crashes our lips together. I wanted to pull away but I couldn't. The kiss was filled with so much emotion. He pulls away slowly.

"I love you so much and I'm sorry." I just turn and walk away from the boy I love. I really thought he was my one and maybe he is but maybe people don't always end up with their true love.

_____

Gilberts gone. He left this morning. He's actually gone. I don't know why I actually hoped he would change his mind and he would come sweep me off my feet and we would live happily ever after.

I don't know how to feel or move on. James walks in and immediately embraces me.

"He left me. He left." I sob and he rubs my back.

"I'm so sorry." My father walks in and I look at him. I know what to do.

I leave the house and walk into the building hesitantly.

"Can we help you miss?"

"Yes. I'm I know who murdered all those people."

_____

Don't worry it's not the end!