ELEVEN

Chapter Eleven
-
GILBERT'S POV

"Gilbert? Gilbert is that... is that you?" I frown but turn. The girl. The voice. It all sounded familiar.

"Ruby?" I ask and she nods. She embraces me and I'm startled but I hug her back.

"It's- it's so good to see you! Are you back for good?" She asks Ana I scratch the back of my neck.

"Um yes. Decided it was about time to come back home. Im the new doctor here actually."

"Doctor? Wonderful!" She says and I nod. I wanted to ask. I so wanted to ask.

"So uh how's um Eliza...beth?"I say slowly. I haven't spoken her name in years.Ruby gives me a knowing smile.

"Well no one has seen her for over a year. She went off to become a detective. Which is not surprising considering her past." I frown.

"What happened?"

"Oh it was horrible. Her father was the man who murdered all those people! Apparently Eliza saw one and she reported it maybe a day or two after you left. It was hard for her family. Her mother passed only a few years later." I was shocked. I also felt guilty for not being there for her.

"Oh James and Anne have just had their first child! She's a beautiful baby! " my eyebrows raise. I have missed quite a lot.

"James and...Anne?" Ruby nods.

"Yes. They have been married for a while now." I smile at that. I'm happy for them maybe I'll pay them a visit soon.

"Well I must be off! I have work to do. It was so swell to see you,Gilbert. I'm really glad your back."

"Me too." I reply and she walks away. I felt so alone in this town. I felt like I was in a different world. Everything was so different. Eliza a detective?

I debate but soon decide to head over to James house with the help of a few directions from some of the towns people.

___

I hear a knock on the door and Anne walk and opens it.

"May I he-" Anne suddenly stops what she was saying and freezes.

"Get out of here before they both see you! I'm so glad your here but James won't be! Go please!" I frown and make my way over.

"What's wro-" I open the door wider and see the person. I freeze. No.

"Um hi." He says. Gilbert says. He's here. Right in front of me. All of these feeling that I've pushed down and locked up come back.

"Gilbert? What the hell are you doing here?" James says angrily.

"I uh came to congratulate you on your marriage and child."

"Thank you but leave. Not after what you did to Eli-"

"It's fine! I'm...fine. Welcome back Gilbert." I say without looking at him but I could feel his eyes on me. I turn to walk away.

"Eliza?" He says and I look back at him. God he was beautiful.

"Yes?" I reply softly.

"I never thought that you could become more gorgeous but you have proved me wrong." I don't say anything. I just turn back around and quickly go to my room. I slam door and tears start coming down. I still loved him. I didn't realize it until now. Seeing him brought all of those old feelings back. I hate him so much but I love him and he can never know that.

_____