FOURTEEN

Chapter Fourteen
-

It's been over two weeks of staying with Gilbert Blythe. Ever since that almost kiss everything has been off. He won't make eye contact with me and the only time he talks to me is when he goes all professional doctor on me. I'm certain that he doesn't want to be with me. It hurt but I am a big girl and I will get through this. I couldn't wait to get out of here and just go back to work and forget about him. I was almost fully healed.

James and Anne come and visit quite often. Ruby had stopped by once and gave me some homemade cookies. Although we were enemies back then we learned to put our differences aside and she has been a good friend these past years.

I was tired of being on house arrest and having to stay in bed. Gilbert won't even let me place one foot on the ground. I was a huge mess and I was tired of being a huge mess.

The door opens and Gilbert walks in. His eyes avoid my gaze and I narrow my eyes. What is his problem? He indeed got even more handsome over the years but some of his features remained the same. Like his soft curly hair and chocolate puppy eyes. But he did become more muscular and defined. He was indeed the most handsome man in Avonlea.

"You doing well?" He asks and I nod quietly.

"I feel fine." I reply softly and fiddle with my cold fingers.

"You should be fully healed by now." He says as he checks my wound or my healed wound. I nod happily.

"You are now released from your house arrest. You may leave when you wish." He says quickly and leaves just as fast. Why was he acting like this? I needed to leave before my heart completely shattered. I get up and change into the spare clothes Anne had brought me. I scowl in distaste when I see that it is a dress. I haven't worn a dress since forever. As a detective it is hard to run or fight in a dress so I never wore one even if it was deeply frowned upon.

I slipped on the dress and put on my shoes. I gather my things and out. I see Gilbert in his kitchen with no other then Ruby. I can't say it was a surprise. She was a widow and he was unmarried and of course she still liked him. I clear my throat and the both look at me.

"I um should get going. Thank you Gilbert for taking care of me. I owe you. Good bye." I quickly rush out and I even ignore Gilbert's shout of my name. I walked quickly to James home and I barge in and frighten them.

"My apologies." I mumble and rush upstairs. I pace while my head is going haywire. I come to a decision and I start packing my belongings. I was leaving. Going back to my job at Quantico and completely forgetting about Gilbert Blythe. I grabbed my bag and dragged it down the stairs.

" You're leaving?" Anne asks with wide eyes.

"Afraid so. I have a job to get back too and I need to get back. Thank you so much for helping me and welcoming me into your home." I say and hug the both of them. I pinch the babies cheeks and kiss her head goodbye.

"But you were just released! Are you sure this is a good idea?" James asks.

"Not really but I can handle it. Now I must go before the 7 o'clock train leaves. I love you all and promise to visit soon." We hug once more and I leave.

I was completely debating whether I should knock or not. I finally build my courage and knock. I hear footsteps and the door opens to reveal Gilbert. He looks surprised to see me.

"Eliza! What are you doing here? " He asks and I hand him the money I owe him for taking care of me and treating my injury. He notices my luggage and frowns.

"Are you leaving?" He asks and meets my eyes where I begin to melt.

"Yes. Back to Quantico and living my life. I just wanted to say thank you and I hope you are happy here. Goodbye Gilbert." He looks at me and i'm waiting for him to say something. Anything!

"Goodbye Eliza." My heart drops and I sigh but force a tiny smile on my face and nod. I walk down his small set of stairs and I call a carriage. I get in with a heavy heart but I don't look back. Like I said when I was younger. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

________________