TWELVE

Chapter Twelve

I didn't know how to feel. When I came back I didn't expect to see Gilbert. After all this time why has he come back now? Why would the universe do this to me? I hate him. I stayed in my room for most of the day until I was somewhat calm. I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." My raspy voice said and my brother comes in with a small smile.

"How are you?" He asks and I shrug and sigh softly. How was I? I felt heart broken and hurt. I never expected to see him again. I gave up hoping he would come back a long time ago. What we had was a long time ago and we were young but why did it feel like it was only yesterday?

I thought that my feelings for him had faded away. But it's clear now that they hadn't. And bow he's back and he's back for good. I don't know what to do.

"I'm fine." Is all I say and he sits down next to me. I lay my head on his shoulders and he pressed a soft kiss to my forehead. Oh how I missed James. It had been a while since I've seen him. Our lives completely different. Me being a detective and him being a lawyer. Anne was a teacher and it wasn't a surprise. She could never stop living school so it was only reasonable for her to work at one too.

I was glad that James and Anne got their happy ending. Though it was a long and complicated one. James chased after Anne for the longest time and Anne being her stubborn self refused all of his attempts.

Until James bought her some flowers when we were sixteen and confessed him undying love for the redhead. They have been together ever since.

"So Gilbert's back." He states the obvious and I glare at him.

"Why don't you just talk to him? Maybe that will do the two of you some good. You both clearly have some unfinished business." I shake my head.

"I never want to speak to that jerk again! How dare he come and talk to me like nothing had happened. He is the one that left me!" I say and I huff in anger.

"Well he did have a pretty good for reason for leaving, Eliza." I had thought about it. Maybe I was being selfish. But I loved him and he left.

"Maybe." I murmur and he rubs my arm.

"Why don't you and Anne go to the local bakery? You two can catch up and have some good quality time together. I'll watch the baby." I hesitate by nod. Maybe that would do me some good.

I cleaned up a bit and me and Anne walked to the bakery not far from here. I missed Anne. She became one of my best friends.

We ordered our food and sat down.

"So how are you and James?" I asked as I poured some cream into my coffee. Her smile instantly brightens.

"Oh it's wonderful. James is the sweetest and so supportive. I'm lucky to have him."

"You deserve it." I say and she smiles at me.

"You do too,Eliza." I just give her a small smile. Our food is placed before us and we dig in.

"So how's the detective life?" She asks curious.

"I love it. Though it is dangerous and can leave you hurt either physically or mentally it is worth it. I put the worst of the worst people in prison."

"Oh how exciting. I wish I was brave enough to have that job. But I love teaching and it is my place." I smile at her.

"Ladies." I tense up but look up at him. Was he following me now? Of course not. This used to be his favorite bakery.

"Gilbert."

"Mr.Blythe." I say and take a sip of my coffee. Why now?

"Anne... may I talk to Miss.Eliza alone?" Anne hesitates but nods and gets up. Gilbert takes the seat in front of me. I don't look at him.

"It's good to see you,Eliza." He says.

"Wish I could say the same." I mumble and play with my fingers.

"I hear that you're a detective. It's surprising but quite amazing. The job is perfect for you."

"Thank you." Is all I say.

"I don't want our relationship to be bad,Eliza. I want us to be friends again an-"

"Gilbert I can't stand to see you. Because every time I think or look at you I am reminded of the pain you caused me. I loved you,Gilbert Blythe and you ripped out my heart. I don't think I can forgive you for that." I say and get up.

"Eliza please wait..."

"This conversation is over, Mr.Blythe." I say coldly and walk out. What is wrong with me? I just spilled my heart out to him! I was walking alone and my guard was down. I was too distracted that I didn't see the man with the gun to my face. He pushes me into an ally.

"Give me you money and those pearls." The man in the mask snarls. I slowly take my purse and as I hand it too him I drop it and grab his gun and twist it out of his hand. I kick him in the groin and he falls to his knees. I grab my purse and take out a pair of cuffs. I didn't see the knife that he had and he swiped at me. I punch him twice and he falls.

"You messed with the wrong woman." I snarl and handcuff him. I pull him up roughly and we walk to the near station. He struggles against my grip but it's strong. We walk in and someone takes him from me and put into the jail.

"Detective Lightwood. What happened?" The sheriff asks.

"This man tried to rob me."

"Well he definitely chose the wrong woman." The sheriff chuckles. I was suddenly becoming light headed.

"Well are you okay?"

"I'm fin-" I suddenly fall and my eyes were starting to close. People crowd around me.

"She's been stabbed! We need to take her to the doctor!" Those were the last words I heard before I lose consciousness.

_______