THREE

Chapter Three
-

"Eliza wake up! Come on!" I jerk awake to James yelling at me to wake up. It's still dark outside and I frown in confusion.

"What's going on?" I ask and quickly get up and put my shoes on. James points out the window and I look to see a house on fire.

We rush to the house and I see the boys pouring buckets of water onto the house. James runs to help and I stand there staring at the fire in awe and fear.

Anne and Diana run over to me and Anne gives me a hug.

"This is awful!" Diana cries out.

"Who's home is this?"

"The Gillis's home." Diana answers. That's Ruby's house.

"Why are the windows open?" Anne suddenly says and I frown before realizing what she means.

She starts running and I quickly follow her. I hear Diana's protests and yelling. We rush into the house and I instantly start coughing. We start closing all the doors and windows and it was getting harder to breath.

I rush to a door and grab the handle.

"Eliza?" I hear a panicked voice. I look up and meet Gilberts gaze from the window. I shut the door quickly and Anne and I quickly try to make it outside.

Anne falls to the floor coughing and I put her arm around my shoulders.

With it being hard to breath and carrying Anne it seemed impossible to make it. We both fall on the floor and I felt like I couldn't breath. Anne and I use the last of our strength to pull ourselves out of the house.

I see people rush to us and I hear yelling and crying. The fresh air cooling my lungs.

"It's stopping! Anne and Eliza stopped the fire!" A young boy yells and people look at us. Soon the fire is out and I hear someone yell my name. I'm enveloped in arms.

"Are you okay?" I look up and see a very worried looking Gilbert. I give him a small smile.

"Peachy. " I mumble and lay my head on his chest.

"Elizabeth Lightwood! What in earth were you thinking! You could've been killed or injured! Get over here now!" Mother yells and I ignore her. I was too exhausted.

"Mother... please." James says and mother glares at him. Gilbert picks me up bridal style.

"Well if she is so in love with this boy she can go with him. She is not welcome tonight. Let's see if this Gilbert will care for her now. Because he probably doesn't." Mother yells and I'm zoning out.

"I care deeply for your daughter,Mrs.Lightwood. She is welcome to stay with me and she will." Gilbert says and his tone is angry before I feel him start walking.

It's silent for a while before I'm being placed on a bed. I open my eyes slightly and Gilbert is wiping my face with a cloth.

"That was very foolish." He says and looks at me right in the eyes. I could tell he was upset.

"I had too." I whisper and he shakes his head. He sets the cloth down and sighs.

"You risked your life,Eliza. You could have died! Did you even think how that would affect the people who care for you?" I shake my head and sit up.

"I'm sorry."

"I was so scared. I thought I was going to lose you." I touch his cheek and he sighs at my touch.

"Forgive me. I wasn't thinking. I should've thought about it but I don't regret it,Gilbert." I say truthfully and he gives me a small smile.

"You surprise me everyday,Eliza." He then leans in and presses his lips onto mine. The kiss was short and soft but that didn't make it any less magical and wonderful.

"I should've done that yesterday." He murmurs and I smile. He goes to leave but I catch his wrist.

"Stay with me?" I ask and he hesitates before sliding in next to me. I lay sideways and he does too.His fingers trace my face and his face is in awe.

"Get some sleep. You had quite the adventure tonight." I smile and he slowly pulls me into his chest. He smells like burnt wood but I couldn't care less.

"Good night,love." He whispers into my ear with a kiss to my head.

"Night Gilbert." I reply and drift off to sleep.

______