Sai x Reader: Best Friends

You and Sai have been best friends since he arrived in Konoha. Mostly everyone thought he was weird,  but you didn't.

"Let me walk you home,(y/n), it's kind of far." Sai insisted.

"Okay, Sai, if you insist." I chuckled. Your best friend either kept to himself or spoke his mind. There seemed to be no in between.

The walk from where we were before to where you lived was far,  he wasn't wrong. You were perfectly capable of walking there yourself. You two were jōnin, after all. There was no awkwardness between Sai and yourself. You were comfortable around him, as he was you. Without thinking, you made small talk easily.

"My book says to be honest to your colleagues, I thought it would be a good idea to call Sakura a hag. She punched me so hard, I flew!" Sai said, waving his hands around to show an explosion.

"Sai! No matter how haggish you think she is, never say it! She has a looong history of beating Naruto up for those things." You exaggerated. Sai locked eyes with you and smiled at each other. A pink blush crossed your face and you tried to hide it with your long (h/c)  hair. It didn't work.

"Your hand." Sai said while gazing at your hand.

"Huh?" You were confused.

"Can I hold your hand?" He asked you calmly.

  Instead of answering verbally, you grabbed your partner's hand. You looked up at his face, which was red with a blush, as well as yours. You two walked the long distance to your house, linked together, just like that.