Chapter 6

A week has pass. The couples have been having a wonderful time. Vanessa and Wesley went on a date a few times. Violet and James have been talking every day and all night. Marilyn and Matthew have been together every day. During that week the girls have found a great apartment for Ruth. Ruth wanted to do this on her own. Marilyn ask her if she's sure about this. She doesn't mind her and the baby. Violet and Vanessa agree with Marilyn's suggestion but Ruth was determine to do this on her own. The girls wonder who could be the father of the unborn baby.

Excited that one of them was going to have a baby, Marilyn, Vanessa and Violet went out shopping for baby clothes. At that time, The girls began asking Ruth questions about the baby's father.

"Ruth...it been a week since you told us the news..." Violet tip toe her question.

"Yeah. I mean we are all best friends and we should know who the father is..." Vanessa join. Ruth ignore them and continue her shopping. Marilyn sigh. She motion to Vanessa and Violet to let her talk to her. We walk behind Ruth as she was looking through the pile of clothes.

"Ruth? I know it might be hard to answer our questions but we just curious. I also think that if we know we can help you convince him to be part of the baby's life." Marilyn told her in a sincere tone. Ruth turn to Marilyn with assuring eyes. Suddenly she began brawl right in the middle of the store. The whole store watch Ruth as she was crying. The girls explain to the people in the store that everything was alright. They grab Ruth and took her to the back of the store. Ruth was muttering something but none of them could understand.

"Ruth stop mumbling...slow down and explain." Violet said. She finally pull herself together.

"I don't know who..."

"Isn't it Ed?" Vanessa wonder. Then it hit her, "Wait, remember she told us that both men came over to Europe to visit her. Of course she can't tell." At that moment Marilyn put the pieces together.

"Ruth, listen, just know that we are always there for you. Whatever you need, we are there for you." Marilyn reassure her. They continue their shopping once Ruth was feeling better.

After an hour, they all decide to head back home since Ruth was walking for two. As they drove up the drive way of Marilyn's house men were moving: party tables, chairs and centerpieces to the back of the house. Violet, Vanessa and Ruth were curious about the party things so they ask Marilyn.

"Looks like a party." She said.

"We know it's a party but what kind of party?" Violet ask her again. As Marilyn look around the yard she knew what party it was.

"Oh, It's my father party."

"His birthday?" Vanessa said in a worried tone.

"Don't worry" Marilyn reassure them, "It's the company's party. My dad has one every year." She explain. After explaining, the girls rush upstairs and change their outfits.

As the party was commencing, Marilyn greet everyone with her father. Everyone was so glad to hear she was on her feet. She wonder what they all meant by their comment. There was one person, who is an employer from the beginning of her father company, who told her after having her break-up it was nice to see that she was on her feet and conquering the world.

"Everyone knows that?" Marilyn whisper to her father.

"Derek told most of them." Her father mention. She continue to greet but thinking that everyone knows her breakup she didn't feel comfortable. Marilyn went to sit with her friends at the table near by the lake. She felt that everyone was judging her as she walk to the table. There was a moment that she slow down. If it wasn't for Vanessa yelling for her across the yard, Marilyn would have fainted right in the middle of the party. Marilyn hope that they can help her get her mind off of her breakup. Suddenly someone went behind her covering her eyes.