Being Neighborly

Claire's POV- Something in the air told me the moment I woke that something will happen today. Nothing ever happens to me. I am painfully un-extraordinary and hopelessly average. Every day passes like a carbon copy of the one before, the clones filling my calendar. But today will be different. Why? I have no idea. But I'm a big believer in poetry and the feeling of change in the air is too poetic to ignore.

I push myself out of bed and glance out the window to the lazy sun dragging it's way up for the morning too. Something else outside catches my eye as well. Is it-? It can't be... a moving truck? Yes I knew my neighbor had sold his house but no one knew when the mysterious buyer was moving in. After a considerable amount of staring I dash out of my room, down the short, little hall to the kitchen where my flatmate Marie is pouring coffee.

"Did you see-"

"The moving truck?" she finished for me. "Yup! What do you think they'll be like?"

There have been rumors about the new addition to our little town, Shawnee. Some say it's a middle-aged woman with 4 parakeets. A few have thought it's a criminal straight out of prison for vandalism. (Vandalism is not tolerated here in Shawnee.) Many have told me it's a family of homeschool kids who keep padlocks on all doors and windows. I don't know what I believe, but I hope whoever moves into 408 Jackson Lane is at the very least interesting. Shawnee could use a little of that.

"Maybe we should bring them something," I suggest, eager to make the stranger's acquaintance.

"I have a batch of brownies in the oven," Marie smiles, handing me my coffee. I swear she's the coolest person I know.

20 minutes later we walk through the neglected lawn that is more weeds than grass to the front door.

"Knock," I whisper to Marie.

"You knock!" she says.

"No, you!"

"I'm carrying brownies!"

"So? Just do it!"

"You do it!"

"No!"

"Why? Are you nervous!"

"No..."

The argument lasts a few more minutes until Marie finally sighs and slaps the doorbell.

The door swings open. I don't know what I expected, but I was not expecting him. The boy standing in the doorway is, in short, gorgeous. His curly brown hair is pushed back into a bandana. He has big dark eyes, a long, thin nose, and a strong jaw. His Captain America tank top allows me to see the tan skin stretched over his biceps.

"Hey! I'm Ashton."

Ashton's POV- The taller girl with the long blond hair smiles and greets, "Hello! I'm Marie!"

"And I'm Claire," says bright red haired girl.

"And you brought food!" I cry, finally glancing at the pan in Marie's hand.

"Food?!" cries a voice from inside.

The girls look at each other.

"That's Michael, my flat mate," I explain. "Come on in!"

I lead the girls through the maze of boxes into the kitchen where Michael is digging through a box of random objects that probably shouldn't have been packed together. "Hey!" he smiles, forgetting the whisk he's holding as he holds up his hand to wave.

"This is Marie, and that's Claire," I introduce. "Ladies, this is Michael."

Claire's smile widens when she sees his black and red hair. I don't even think about the fact that it's dyed anymore. I guess hers is too now that I think about it.

"You like blink 182?" he asks pointing to her shirt.

"Yeah! They're great!"

"I know right! What's your favorite track?"

"Probably I Miss You."

"I love that song!"

I don't know why, but it bothers me how alike they seem.

"What about you?" she asks. It takes a moment for me to realise she's talking to me.

"Oh, yeah I like them! I like a lot of different music."

"So do I!" she grins.

Marie laughs, "At our house we go from rap to folk to rock to country without even thinking."

"Then I think we'll get along," I say.

"So what brings you guys to Shawnee?" Marie asks fake-casually.

"It just seemed like the best option," Michael replied. "Is there a lot of gossip about us or something?"

Marie and Claire exchange looks.

"A bit..."

"Well, sorry to disappoint, but we're pretty normal," Michael says, pulling a stuffed dog and a hammer out of the box.

"Aw," Claire sighs "I was hoping for abnormal."

"I think you guys are different enough for this neighborhood," Marie laughs sliding the brownie pan onto a small empty spot on the counter.

"We're right next door if you guys ever wanna hang out," Claire smiles, turning to leave. "And let us know if we can help unpack or paint or anything."

"You guys any good at painting?" I ask.

They both turn to look at me. "Don't even get us started," Marie says, no trace of a joke upon her face.

"Bye!" they call, leaving as suddenly as they came.

"They're cool," Michael says, tossing the now empty box aside.

"Yeah," I reply, trying to hide my smile. Claire. Even her name is beautiful.

"Hello? Earth to Ash!"

"What?"

"I asked if you want a brownie."

"No I'm good." I sit against a wall of boxes in a room I wander into. "Claire," I whisper to the floor.