Two: The Sad Bestfriend

Whenever there was a death in the town, which was either a) an elder or b) a murder, (which sadly b was becoming more common compared to elders reaching their prime age), the school would hold a special assembly remembering their life.

Essentially, each victim would get three funerals, the first their television story on the news, approximately fifteen minutes (not including the ad break), the second funeral - the real funeral (which is reserved for close friends and family), and then the third and last funeral. This one.

Every time I would take refuge at the backseats of the stands by sitting next to my friends Cassie and Max.

Max would always say something like, "dangit they were hot," which wasn't appropriate, so Cassie would slap him and then by the end of that, the assembly would begin.

This time, a picture of Annie at the formal last year was on the board behind the principal. Her face staring into the crowd as if to say I know it was you, but who? The picture was kind of terrifying as if she was watching everyone. Snapping back to reality it was time for Nora's speech, she had always been a friend, and one time even girlfriend to one of the victims.

Whoever it was had to hate her, but who could hate her?

  ◂ ▴ ▾ ▸  

authors note: the story has a slow-ish start to set the story, but as each 'chapter' is small i will post frequently. and as a side note, the killer is most likely, not who you think it is.