Nine: The Happy Bestfriend

Before this all started, the murders and fear over the town. Our school was like any other school, we had the concrete stairs leading to the foyer, the brick walls, the lockers lining the corridors, and different cliques, an unspoken social hierarchy of kids who got bullied and those who didn't. 

You wouldn't suspect anything more sinister than two jocks fighting it out over who deserves to date your generic Regina George. Even then the black eyes, bruises and blood would go away over time.

Nowadays kids walked the halls, still in conversation and packs, loud and as annoyingly slow as before, but there was something else, unspoken and cemented onto every student, specifically year 12s. A wet blanket of fear surrounded us, which was noticed in everyone's eyes. The only plus side was the decrease in bullying, as a: what if it's them.

I always walked in silence with my head down to avoid eye contact and conversation with anyone, after grabbing my stuff from my locker I'd find Cassie, as she was the closest, then we'd walk to Maxs' locker and then finally I could breathe. I could look up again and realise I'm just in any other ordinary highschool, (almost).

The rest of the day was fine as long as I wasn't alone, especially at lunch, at our table, in the corner.

"How was your movie with Faith?" Max asks with a grin, Max nudges Cassies ribs making her scoff.

"You're disgusting, watch some lesbian porn or something to ease a nerve," Cassie exclaims disgusted as she brings an apple out from her bag.

"Talk about easing a nerve," Max says as I take a seat formally.

"Are you okay?" Cassie asks, my head which was now just a loud echo of my heart allows me to smile. (Yes I had taken advil, maybe even enough to overdose, but sleep was the only cure for my headache, and it was what I lacked).

Grabbing my lunch I accidentally tip out my journal earning a large flop on the ground, in a panic I go to reach for it just to see another hand.

"You dropped this," Nora says with a smile, I lock eyes for too long before slowly grabbing the journal from her hand to watch her walk away, even sensing a small jump in her step.

That's a lot of happy for a friend who just had (basically) everyone she cared about die— "Shit, you bring that shit to school?" Max whispers angrily. 

"Well I'm not leaving it at home, someone might find it and read it when I go to the fucking toilet," I reply, Cassie instantly looking ashamed and Max closing his mouth. I figured it would be safer always with me than left at home where mum could find it if she randomly went on a spring cleaning tour.

Turning back to my bag I bury my journal and finally feel my heart start to slow down again.