Embroidery (Erwin Smith x Male!Reader)

Erwin Smith x Male!Slightly Feminine!Reader

(Y/N) was always taught to appreciate the little things. The seeing the sight out of a window, the sound of fire, the smell of books, the taste of even the blandest food, the touch of metal and wood on his delicate fingers. Now, more than ever, did humanity need the little things. It's why he became apart of the Survey Corps. So more and more people could learn to appreciate and love the little things.

Of course, everyone has their favourite. (Y/N)'s favourite and talent happened to be embroidery. He was often teased and called girly as a boy, but he didn't mind. Why focus on something he wasn't good at, when he was obviously made for something else? His small and careful fingers were perfect for carrying thread though a needle, and that needle through fabric. His eye for detail proved useful when spotting mistakes, or preventing them in the first place. It was also why he was so well medically trained too. He could stitch a wound which as little pain as humanly possible, bandage a wound quicker than anyone, comfort someone without a second thought while they underwent medical procedures and pain. He knew the difference between a poisonous plant and a safe one from a moments glance, as well as knowing how to treat different sicknesses should someone make a mistake. Of course, like the remaining humanity, he wasn't and couldn't be the best at everything. A solider could only be around so much death until they start to lose grip on reality.

(Y/N) was starting to weaken his hold. He was still a great soldier, but he would lash out at things that weren't there, he became moody, more hot-tempered or completely carefree. It was starting to scare the people around, and quite frankly, himself. Knowing he could do easily hurt, or even kill someone without realising it, when he worked so hard to make sure his comrades were alive and well, was terrifying. Everything he wanted, everything he worked for... he just wanted the people around him to be safe. Yet now, he risked being the one causing damage.

He would often refuse sleep, instead taking a chair and sitting near a window, watching the stars. It calmed him but caused him to be tired and sloppy. It was one or the other, and (Y/N) would often choose the latter. If it came down to him or his squad, he would sacrifice himself in an instant, so that's what he chose. Until one night, when the news of his condition got to the higher ups.

(Y/N) was sitting on his chair staring at the stars, forming patterns between them in his mind, when he heard footsteps approaching him. He turned and faced the shadow in front. As the person got closer, (Y/N) immediately saluted, recognising the person as Commander Erwin Smith. Erwin nodded at him, holding out both his hands. Each was carrying something or two and the younger took them, not believing his eyes.

What the Erwin Smith was offering to him, was a wooden embroidery hoop, a piece of linen cloth, obviously ripped from something, a needle and three small rolls of coloured thread. He let out a quiet gasp upon realising that the piece of linen was taken from the Commander's shirt. Looking at the man, (Y/N) smiled and nodded, thanking him graciously. No words were exchanged that night.

•••

It was the evening, and (Y/N) sat on his chair next to the window, a candle lit beside him for extra light. He concentrated on the needle he was threading through the cloth. He hummed a soft lullaby, one his mother taught him. She would always sing it to him when they were relaxing together or he couldn't sleep.

Since Erwin gave him the gift, he'd been sleeping a lot better and he'd been having less mood swings, much to the relief of himself and the people around him. He still didn't know how Erwin knew he enjoyed embroidery, or why he took the time to get him these things, all (Y/N) knew was that it helped. A lot. He forever owed Erwin Smith.

The (h/c; brunet, blonde, redhead, etc.) finally had something to channel all his negative energy into. Not only that, but every second or third night, he would find more cloth and thread at his bed after coming back. Occasionally, even another needle when he lost his. (Y/N) was grateful, but still wanted to talk to Erwin about why he was doing this. It looked like that night was the time to do it as Erwin walked over, just as he did the first night. (Y/N) turned and smiled, saluting. He then dropped the salute and opened his mouth to talk, but the Commander beat him to it.

"I imagine you have a few questions, (L/N)." The man in question nodded. "Well, I gifted you that because you enjoy it, yes?" (Y/N) nodded again and Erwin looked out the window, the younger following his gaze. "I figured that something you enjoy would lower the effect of whatever has happened to you. You're a good man, (L/N), I don't know why you're here." (Y/N) looked down at the ground before looking at his superior.

"Because I am, sir. I am a good man, it's why I'm here. And, how'd you know I enjoy doing this sort of stuff?" He held up the embroidery hoop, which held the half finished picture inside.

Erwin nodded. "You're good in your heart and skill, but you weren't made for the emotional and physical struggle of fighting. As for how I know... two twins I met awhile ago informed me. They had (e/c) eyes and auburn hair, do you know them?" My sisters, the twins! Coraline, Maria, I don't know how to thank you. Erwin saw (Y/N) nod a little out of the corner of his eye, so he continued on. "I never thought I would need that information but it turns out it came in handy, huh? (L/N), we can't afford to lose you. Not yet. When I betray the Survey Corp's trust or when all titans can be wiped off the face of this planet in a minute, that's when we won't need you." He turned to face the man. "You're valuable to us, (L/N), got that? Don't forget it." As he was turning away, he was pulled back by a small voice.

"Thank you... sir..."

phew that took a lot longer than it should've wow. hope you enjoyed it though!