Chapter 37

"Fuck you mean you ain't got his money?"

I walked up on Chance and four other youngins just in time to hear this fiend tell Chance that he couldn't pay, and ask what else he could do for them instead. They were all circled around him laughing at him, making him beg and watching him humiliate himself. A grown ass man. I walked up on them fast. Real fast. They must have been so busy fuckin' wit' this old dude that they didn't even see me coming, because they all jumped when I spoke, including the grown ass man that they were fuckin' with. Dude was doing that crackhead shit I hated, dancing on his tiptoes and wringing his hands like his grown ass was begging these young kids for permission to run to the bathroom.

I hated that shit, and wanted to crack his head open.

Where the fuck were his wife and kids that he should have been taking care of and protecting? I thought about Tiana without a daddy and got even more pissed. I looked around at the lil niggas, who were all suddenly standing at attention and acting like they had been over there handling business the whole time, instead of scheming on doing who knows what to this old ass man. I was so damn vexed with them that I almost forgot about the baby, until she put her small hands on my face and forced me to look at her. Angel was bringing me back from the ledge, because I was sure about to pop this dude in front of them, make them clean that shit up, and remind these lil niggas not to fucking play on. my. watch.

But I was still pissed.

I was still so fucking pissed about this shit that I had just walked up on. Theses lil niggas played too damn much, and Rico expected me to keep his money right with all these new dumb ma' fuckas pulling this type of shit.

I looked at Chance, who had been right there fucking around with the rest of 'em, then past him to the four other youngins. One of them was the same kid Chance had with him all the time.

That fool was the wildest one of them all.

I looked back at the old man.

When I looked down at Angel again, she was already looking up at me like she knew I was about to tell dude what the fuck was really good. Then she wrapped her little arms tighter around my neck and rested her head right up under my chin, where she always liked to lay it, like she was trying to calm me, but at the same time wanted me to know that she didn't see shit.

I tried to slow my heartbeat down for the baby, and put my lips to the top of her head. But I was still watching this damn fiend, who couldn't pay, over top of the two little puffs that Charity had slicked Angel's hair into the day before.

Then I handed the baby over to Chance.

This crackhead could thank Angel for his life. I was too stressed, and didn't have time for this bullshit. I had thirteen other things to do before the sun came up, after I picked up these niggas' money, and this ma' sucka had just added one more thing to the list. It wasn't even my money that this fool was holding.

It was Rico's money.

And I damn sure wasn't walking away without it.

All of it.

But I couldn't spill blood in front of the baby.

I pulled my Glock and walked directly up to the old man, nose to nose. I shoved the gun into his mouth and told him to get the fuck down on his knees. He made this whimpering sound and I nodded my head toward Chance, letting him know that the baby didn't need to see this pitiful shit. Chance guided her head down to his shoulder and turned her around, blocking her view.