13. Take A Bow- Rayna

Jamal moved his lips with mine and I stood there for a second. Stunned wasn't the word for how I was feeling. I let his lips linger before I pulled back.

"I may not understand this kind of thing but I'm pretty sure this is called mixed signals signals. Because if I'm not mistaken we aren't friends" I gestured my hands between the two of us.

"You're right you don't understand it and I don't understand it." He pauses pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look I am someone who doesn't usually needs someone and what just happened caught me by surprise too. But don't feel bad about it do you?" He searched my eyes for a second and I ducked my head uncomfortable with the attention.

"I have a meet today and you're going to throw me off my game. Today wasn't the day for this Jamal." I groaned. How am I supposed to focus on my main goal. First my cousin, then Keegan, now him is it just switch up day.

"I didn't mean to do that. Ray be real for just a second-

I cut him off. Scrunching my face. "I have been real from you from the jump. You started with me can you recall? You stopped being cool with me because you were embarrassed about a skin complexion that isn't on your damn skin. We are not friends you are insecure and you have issues and honey I'm in the same damn boat. I'll be damned if I let that ship set sail." I breathed out.

I closed my eyes counting to ten. "We never kissed. The last 10 minutes never happened." I got out turning on my heels.

"You honestly think I'm going to let this shit go?" I heard him chuckle and I spun around quickly.

Having no other comeback. "Dumbass!" I semi-shouted

"You kiss dumbasses so what does that make you." He bit his bottom lip and I rolled my eyes at his bullshit.

I don't understand how you go from not communicating with someone to kissing them within the same few weeks.

"Headed to class" Keegan glides next to me causing my eye to twitch.

So this is just fuck with Ray day huh? The first in door track meet of the season. LSU, Auburn, and Oklahoma State will be there. I want to focus on staying calm and poised. Not this high school bullshit that I didn't have to deal with I'm previous years.

"Locker room." I mumble seemingly uninterested. Keegan has taken it upon herself to treat me better. She made me her woman crush Wednesday to prove that she was cool with me. Her exact words is "I could get down with the whole Lupita thing". Which I'm assuming she was thinking that was a compliment.

Lupita is gorgeous and secondly I'm darker than her and honestly I still don't understand the statement to begin with. Lina is on cloud 9 with Keegan's new friendship with me. Note that I said with me because I'm not friends with her.

"Isn't your meet at like 5 why are you going in there so early." She continues to make conversation.

"Athlete get half days on the day of their event."

My phone buzzes with a notification
@nassir5400 tagged you in a post

A huge grin spread across my face. I unlocked and my heart damn near dropped

@nassir5400 Feeling inspired on her big day

@nassir5400 Feeling inspired on her big day. Cut up on the track today best friend #shawtywouldreallysmokeyou

My grin grew wider because no one has ever done anything like this for me. Of course my mom and family do amazing things for me all the time and I'm forever grateful. Not only did I not know how artistic Nassir was but for him to use his talents on me was enough to make my heart stop.

Not wanting to spend time texting him I wanted to call and thank my quote "best friend"

"Keegan I'll catch you later okay." I said full on cheesing.

She looked at me funny. "Okay girl see you at your meet we'll be front row." And I rushed into the locker room.

Only a few other girls were in here and only one of them was my teammate after talking to her for a second I called Nassir.

"Thank you so much." I said in one breath when he answered.

"Forrrr?" He played stupid and I chuckled.

"The picture you drew of me." I giggled stopping myself when I realized that I just giggled.

"How you know that you. Because it's actually this cute ass girl I met at the mall with legs for days. And I heard she was a fast as hell." He continued on this act.

"Damn and here I was thinking I was hot shit. Got my fans drawing me before my meet." I teased him.

"Fan" he scoffed. "Girl how I go from best friend to fan now that's fake." He gave up on the act.

"That's what I thought." It got quiet for a minute.

"So what's up why aren't you in class Ray?" He asked and I heard him moving around.

"Athlete get half days when they have a game or something and people have been getting in my head I usually go to class anyway but I needed a breather." I admitted.

I had every intention on heading my ass to class before I ran into Jamal and his surprise kiss.

"What happened love?" I heard him inhale and I realized he was smoking.

I groaned. "This stupid guy I was friends with a few weeks ago." I paused. "You know what it's not  even worth mentioning.

I sat down Indian style stretching my inner thighs. That's my key to speed staying as relaxed as possible. Tense shoulders, soreness I can't have any of that. I want my body to feel like air.

Grabbing my soothing lotion from my bag I hit my inner arm on my back and I look down and see the spot where I applied the bleaching cream and almost burst into tears.

"Hey I'll cal you back." I said quickly.

"Wait what time you need me to be there?" He questioned and I could hardly focus on him.

I stared and the swollen section on my arm and bit my lip what the fuck could I do? I can't hide this during the race. My heart started to pound against my chest.

"Rayna?" I heard him repeat.

Snapping out of my throbbing peeling arm. "What did you say?" I respond.

"What time?"

"Oh 4:30 or 5:00 up to you if you want to get here early." I hung barely saying buy.

Focusing on my breathing and tried to think.

I grab my make up bag and start piling foundation on it causing it to burn bringing tears to the corner of my eyes. The skin is so thin and raw that it stings with each touch. I work it into my arm enough and set it with powder. It looks a little off but you could only tell if you were up close.

I dig in my bag for something else. My momma always buys these sweat bands and I never wanted to wear them because you know who wears sweat bands. I slip it on over where I put the foundation for added assurance. It's black so make up wouldn't transfer noticeably on it.

My phone buzzed and I let out a deep sigh. 

Nassir: so what happened this time?
Rayna: it's handled down worry yourself

I sat on the bench again before calming myself down from a scare. I repeated to myself that I could never use that cream again.