Godly Parent Stereotypes

Originally published: January 2018

Okay, is it just me or do a lot of children of godly parents get portrayed the same way in fanfics?

What I mean is that all the children of one god kind of act the same. Aphrodite's children are romantic, girly, and sometimes catty. Apollo's children are perky, spunky, and creative. Athena's children are bookworms and nerds. Ares' children are aggressive jagoffs. Etc.

Yes, I know this is how they're generally portrayed in the books as well

Yes, I know this is how they're generally portrayed in the books as well. But that's only because for many of the background characters, there's no time to develop them past their outer facades and archetypes. But for fanfiction writers, who have more time... why stick to the tropes?

Apollo's children can be perky, spunky, and creative. They can shoot bow and arrow and heal and play ukelele and be the typical, sunshine-y "art hoe" aesthetic from tumblr. But there are other parts. What about the arrogance, or the athleticism, or the prophetic side of Apollo?

And how about Athena? Athena's not only the goddess of wisdom - she's the goddess of warfare, law, and civilization, too. Where's all the political children of Athena? Or the lawyers? Or the viciously intelligent, do-anything-to-get-to-the-top kind of kids? Furthermore... Athena is the goddess of arts and crafts. Where are all the artsy, creative children of Athena? Why is art just always slung on Apollo's children?

Finally, and this is more of a character development thing in general, regardless of godly heritage, but why are fanfic characters so... flat? Writers, you have full capacity and opportunity to flesh out this amazing world Rick has created and make awesome, complex characters! Why just create walking tropes?

 flat? Writers, you have full capacity and opportunity to flesh out this amazing world Rick has created and make awesome, complex characters! Why just create walking tropes?

Honestly it reminds me of the stereotypical high school stories, where there's always an Alpha Bitch, a Jerk Jock, and a Girl Next Door (all names given to me by TVTropes.com). Look at almost every teen fic out there. See how they all tend to share the same archetypes and plot devices? See how ANNOYING this is? That's what it's like for these godly stereotypes. Not all godly siblings are the same. All godly siblings are equal, but some godly siblings are more equal than others.

*crosses fingers in hopes that somebody, anybody will get that reference*

Sorry if this sounds mean, since I have seen some amazing OCs before, but this is a rant book, so... (and anyway, it's MUCH nicer than my last chapter)

Anywho, thanks for reading! Please vote and comment your opinion, even if you disagree (just be polite) :)

Stay positive!