Derek X Reader

Your pov:

You sat at your desk going over the paperwork from the case the team had just finished. You sat there thinking of how if only you had made it there in time the little girl would still be alive right now. You shook your head as tears began to form in your eyes causing your vision to blur. You closed the folder and stood up and went to the bathroom closing and locking the door and sat on the floor to calm yourself down. 

She was dead cause you didn't make it to her in time. It upset you so much. What if it had been your little girl. Your sweet little Dani. It broke your heart to know that a family lost their little angel to a serial killer. Ever since you got back from the case you've had nightmares where it was Dani instead of the victim. You would wake up in a cold sweat and go to Dani's room and watch her sleep. Sometimes Derek would wake up noticing that you were not in the bed and would find you sitting outside of Dani's room crying. 

~Flashback to two nights ago~

-Dream-

I ran as fast as I could to try and get to the room where the unsub was holding the victim. I busted through the door to see Dani's body laying there. I froze in shock as Derek ran into the room behind me. She was dead. I fell to my knees crying as Derek turned away from the body. Reid soon came in along with the rest of the team and ushered me out as the rest of the team and Derek handled the crime scene. 

-dream end-

I woke up sitting up quickly. I looked over at Derek who was sleeping peacefully. I got up and walked to Dani's room and watched her sleep. It pained me knowing that it could have easily been her instead of the other girl. I sat down outside of her room after closing her door back and began to sob. "If only I could have gotten there sooner." I mumbled through my sobs. 

Eventually I felt a hand on my back causing me to look up to see Derek crouched next to me. 

"(y/n), you ok?" Derek asked sitting next to me. I shook my head no in response to his question unable to talk. 

"What's wrong baby girl?" Derek asked as he rubbed my back.

"I dreamed that it was our baby. I dreamed that she was the one who got killed instead of the other girl during the case." I said through sobs. 

"Baby girl she's safe. She has me and you to protect her. Nothing and no one can get her. To get to her they would have to go through both of us and they sure as hell aren't getting through me." Derek said as he hugged me close to his chest. 

"Come on, let's go back to bed." Derek said as he helped me up.   

"Go lay down and I'll get Dani and bring her to our room to sleep." Derek said as he quietly opened Dani's door as I went back to our room.

~end flashback~

I heard a knock on the door soon followed by Derek's voice. 

"(y/n), You ok?" Derek asked through the door. 

"Yeah." I replied with a shaky voice.

"No you aren't. Open the door. Please." Derek said softly. I unlocked the door revealing myself with a tear stained face.

"I can't handle it. It scares me so much. The dreams, knowing we could have gotten there a bit earlier and save her. It hurts." I said as Derek pulled me to him. 

"Baby, Dani is safe. She isn't gonna get hurt. She's protected by this team. No one would let her get hurt. Yes we didn't make it to the girl in time but we saved others from becoming his victims by arresting him. Just think of all the others we saved before he could get to them." Derek said hugging me tightly. 

"Can we go home? Please?" I asked as Hotch walked by and pointed to the doors as a sign for me and Derek to go ahead and head home. 

~not the best ending but I actually like it.~