nine

A week had passed since the afternoon Elizabeth had spent with Alistair, and things were going surprisingly well. The girl had managed to avoid her parents and everyone else for the most part so she hadn't had a bad feeling in a while, heightening her good mood.

Of course Alistair had helped as well in his own way. Elizabeth had found herself talking more to the sarcastic nomad about everything. Her new found voice led her to asking questions that she never would have been able to if she didn't talk.

Currently the pair were seated in the attic, Elizabeth cross legged on the bed while Alistair reclining in a chair.

"So what exactly is your gift?" The brunette asked, cocking her head to the side in a way that looked slightly like a puppy.

"I can sense where people are, feel the pull to whatever I want. As I get closer to what I seek, the pull gets stronger and stronger." He explained and Elizabeth nodded slowly, processing his words.

"Interesting." Elizabeth concluded and Alistair scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Interesting, I'm an amazing tracker." The confidence in his tone made her giggle. One of her favorite features about the male was his accent, she loved to listen to it even when his voice was full of cockiness.

"I wouldn't get to ahead of yourself." Elizabeth responded with a grin, her eyes sparking with mischief.

"Whatever pipsqueak." Alistair rolled his eyes at her again, though the hint of a smile still laid on his features, only increasing when he saw how annoyed she was at the nickname he had given her.

"I don't know why your saying that. I'm not even that short, your simply a giant." The girl exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air in an exasperated movement.

This though, wasn't the best decision seeing as her hand accidentally brushed a piece of antique furniture and Elizabeth nearly gasped at the feeling of sadness that washed over it.

It had been awhile since she had felt emotions that weren't hers flood into her system, and that just made the emotions harder to block out. She tried to remember they weren't hers. Tried to remember that she had no reason to feel sad. She attempted to push the foreign emotion away but they were already enveloping her, bringing down her mood and making a frown unconsciously appear on her face.

All of this happened within the span of a few seconds, and Alistair had witnessed it all. The nomad didn't pretend that he fully understood Elizabeth's ability, but he did know that whatever she had just touched made her sad, and he didn't want her to be sad.

On instinct he reached out, gently placing his bare hand on her arm and watched the way all tension washed away from her face as the sadness she was feeling was washed away and feelings of bliss replaced them,

The two stayed that way for a long moment before Alistair pulled away and Elizabeth met his eyes.

"Thanks." She whispered, voice sounding ruff with emotion but Alistair didn't mind.

"Your welcome."