seventeen

Her heart beat was steady, not betraying any nerves she felt as she walked towards them. The masses of black seemed to engulf them, wrapping them up in a sea of the never ending. Elizabeth liked the poetry of that. The Volturi were very much alike with a black hole. Known, but not really. Terrifying, but inescapable. A threat always looming on the edge of your vision that you can never wish to defeat. It was terrifying and enthralling all in one.

Aro Volturi was the worlds greatest weapon. He was humanities way of fighting against the idiocy of human nonsense. He was the ultimate predator, willing to do anything, become anything, to get what he wanted. What he wanted was the world.

Elizabeth saw as much when she touched him. The moment her pale skin met his own sickeningly milky hand she was whisked away into a mind that wasn't hers.

She was now in a time of war and chaos, so like and unlike the time they lived in today it was almost comical. Yes, today humans fooled themselves into thinking they weren't animals with their technology and endlessly high standards. But deep in the crevices of their mind, where shadows played and the white light of humanity did not reach, they were all just mindless animals obeying.

They would keep obeying if Aro had anything to say about it. He was the wheel that turned the world. The secret of secrets that made him the ruler of men while devils and angels ruled the heavens above, and pits of fire below. No one stopped the wheel, and those that tried made so dearly with their life. It did not matter the offense, no one stopped the wheel.

Very few tried. Didyme among them. She was young, by immortal time anyway. Having hardly been alive a century, and having spent so much of that time kneeling to her brother's ever so deprived ability. All she wanted was to see the world, not own it. She had loved Marcus with her entire being, him being the only one she loved more then Aro.

Aro did not like it though, as much as he might fool the world into believing that he loved his sister, he loved nothing more then power. He loved it so much that, that eventually became the only thing he loved.

Didyme and Marcus were invaluable to Aro, so when he'd heard of their planned escape, he knew that simply wouldn't do.

Killing his sister was easy enough.

She was to trusting, to naive to the world, to her brother whom she thought loved her as much as she loved him.

But poor Didyme was wrong. Aro loved nothing, especially not things he had no use for.

It made Elizabeth positively quiver as the feeling of his ruthless desire for power washed over her, and for a moment she felt as though she were being sucked into the black hole. He was tempting. His power tempted her more then she would have liked.

But she did not give in, did not bow down and bask in his hopeful, vicious milky eyes that screamed at her to kneel, to give up her free will. To bend to the wheel, because that would be the effortless thing to do. To take a black cloak and meld herself into the black hole.

It is said after all, that if you cannot beat your enemies, join them, and in that moment, the temptation to submit tightened around the noose that held tightly to her throat.

But she did not bow, though her legs protested so valiantly the girl almost fell in the snow. Though if she did fall, the chances of her falling straight to hell were so very high it kept her on her feet.

Instead she walks slowly towards the sad king, who watched her with such interest, and intrigue it made the brunette feel as though she were the sun to his moon.

Perhaps they were. Perhaps they were destined to orbit each other.

Perhaps the early men were right, and the earth truly was the center of the universe. The earth being known to humanity as a immortal by the name of Aro.

It was sad to think she would never see the sad king again. Sad to think that they would never have a chance. But in the end the sun chose fire, chose Alistair. And the moon chose darkness, the depths and inescapable chains of the wheel.

Though every so often, an eclipse would happen, and the earth would pause, to stare as the sun and moon met in equilibrium.

"Hello Marcus. I am so sorry about Didyme. She was like the sun." Elizabeth embraced the moons shadow like it was an old friend.

"Thank you my dear. I wish you the best of luck with your own mate." Marcus basked in the suns rays like he was seeing the light for the first time since god created the earth.

In that moment. They were at equilibrium.

AUTHORS NOTE

this was honestly supposed to be something totally else but then I started writing and all of this word vomit came out.