Chapter 11 - Sick

I was floating. I was weightless. I was free.

I think I was on the cloud but I wasn't sure. I was just... relaxed. I sighed and found it hard to breathe on my cloud. I touched my nose and I felt tubes and wires. I pulled and pulled but they wouldn't come off.

Finally, after some tugging they gave away but I still couldn't suck in a breath. I felt like I was choking and I sat up. 

But my cloud soon started to dissolve and then... I was just falling. Into a dark hole. Just falling.

I felt death come closer and soon I was in a hole with no one to save me. My eyes stared up and soon I was gone-

'Alaina, wake up! Honey, wake up!' I heard a man say. I opened my eyes slowly and bright lights flooded my vision.

Where the hell was I?

Wasn't I just in a hole?

Wasn't I dead?

And who's Alaina?

'Nurse! Nurse, get the fuck in here! She's awake!' the man standing next to me yelled. Okay, so I was in a hospital. I looked down where I was laying in the hospital bed and saw my body covered in gauze and bandages.

What happened to me? The man turned to me and I realised he had the scruffiest face I'd ever seen in my life. He stared at me and his eyes looked... hungry.

'Who are you?' I asked the man. He looked confused for a minute but soon a huge Grinch-like-smile spread across his face as if he just realised something.

'It's your father Roger, silly.' He replied, the smile reappearing again.

'Oh, I'm sorry. I'm really confused. So am I... Alaina? Is that my name?' the confusion clouded my mind as Roger â€" I mean my father â€" thought for a second. 

'Forgive me I was talking to my cousin... um... her name is Alaina. Your full name is Marissa Moreno. My daughter.' 

You're not his daughter and that's not your name, a little voice that sounded like my own said in my head. I chose to ignore it. Why would my own dad lie to me?

I smiled; relieved to know who I was finally. Soon the soon came in to check my monitors and she smiled surprisingly.

'Well, Miss Moreno, you've healed incredibly despite having a massive head injury and being out cold for three days! I'm sure you can go home today!' I smiled widely not really knowing where home was.

Or why I couldn't remember anything.

********

After going through a long process of signing release papers and medical pages, Roger finally pushed the wheelchair I was in outside and into the sunshine. I turned my face up to the warm sun and sighed happily.

'So, are we going home?' I asked dad. He nodded but looked around suspiciously. He pulled up to the curb of the hospital parking lot and pulled the wheelchair brake so I wouldn't roll away.

'Wait here, I'll bring the car around.' Roger said; his eyes flickering over the selection of cars. I nodded and he walked off.

I sat there calmly and stared at the people walking on the sidewalks. They all seemed so happy. Just like me.

'Alaina?! Alaina?! Is that you?!' I heard a boy yell. I didn't turn around though, because he was obviously NOT talking to me. I scanned the parking hoping to see Roger pull up.

I was suddenly startled though by someone spinning my wheelchair around. I gasped and stared at the people that were now surrounding me. 

It was two boys about my age and an older looking girl. The boy with blue eyes grabbed me and hugged me fiercely.

'Oh God Alaina! I'm so sorry! For everything! About everything I said and did. I can't believe I let you get hit by a car! Forgive me baby, please!' my eyebrows crinkled in confusion. I pushed the boy away from me gently.

'I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone else. I'm not this Alaina person. My name is Marissa. Marissa Moreno. Who are you?' I asked him. The boy and girl behind him looked at each other and laughed.

'Stop joking around, Alaina! We need to go before Roger finds us! Come on!' they started to push my wheelchair but I quickly slammed down the brake handle.

'What are you doing?!' I asked yelling at them. They stopped and stared at me.

'I'm not kidding about anything and who are you?!' I said. I felt myself grow angry at these strangers.

Who did they think they were trying to kidnap me like this?

'Alaina, it's me, Michael.' Blue eyes said to me. 'And that's Diana and Alex.' He said pointing to the boy and girl.

'No sorry and for the last time my name is MARISSA!' I told them. They exchanged glances with each other.

'She probably lost her memory when the car hit her. She doesn't know who we are. I don't even think she knows what Roger's done to her.' Diana said to Michael and Alex. I felt myself get furious at the disgusted face she made when she said my father's name.

'My father has never done anything to me!' they looked at me like I was crazy.

A tear slipped from Michael's eye as he realised something. I glared at them and was about to say something else before they all gasped.

I turned around and saw Roger coming up with what looked like an evil grin plastered on his face. Michael, Alex and Diana quickly huddled close together. I rolled my eyes.

'Well, I see that you've all met my daughter, Marissa.' Roger said while chuckling. Michael spit at him.

'She's not your daughter, you perverted son of a bitch!' Michael yelled. He turned to me next.

'You have to remember!' he told me, he raped you and beat you and had people shoot at us! He's perverted, you can't believe him, Alaina!' I shook my head at him. I refused to believe him.

Listen to Michael. It's the truth. I frowned. It must be the head injury because I keep hearing a person in my head. It sounded like me but it seemed like... it wasn't. I think it was a different me; like she was trying to get me to remember things just like Michael. But I couldn't.

I simply couldn't.

'She won't remember, you little fuck. It seems like the universe is now working in my favour. First with people believing the bodies found were actually Alaina and yourself. And second, Alaina is losing her memory. I guess God does really love me.'

I snapped out of my craziness to listen to Roger's words. I didn't understand anything.

'God will never love a child molester, you sick minded freak. She'll remember, you know she will remember. She'll remember what you've done to her and you're little fantasy will be over.' Michael said angrily.

I didn't know what any of them were talking about. I looked up to see Roger's reaction but he just stood there and smiled. He turned my wheelchair and pushed me to an awaiting car. 

After getting me settled, he hopped in and drove by where the group of three was. Roger tolled down the window and called out to them. They glared with obvious hate. I didn't know what their problems were with my father.

'If you go to the police, they won't believe you. Alaina's dead remember. Alaina Jolie Rodrick is dead. Read the paper for proof. And you're dead too, Michael. Just like planned.' After that, Roger sped away, laughing his head off.

I didn't know what was so funny but I decided to laugh along too.

'You'll remember, I know you will. Roger will hurt you again and then you'll remember.' I ignored the voice this time. It was a figment of my imagination and it meant nothing.

I was not Alaina.

I was Marissa Moreno.

And my father is Roger Moreno.

And that is how it will stay.

Forever.