Misunderstood

Misunderstood by S.Horne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disclaimer: I don't own characters or the show.

A/N: Ages and details may vary slightly from the show.

It was a late summer's evening when the conversation finally arose. Derek and Stiles had been officially dating since Stiles' 18th birthday and had recently celebrated their second wedding anniversary. The two were currently tangled in their large bed in the refurbished Hale house, enjoying their post-coital haze. Stiles was wrapped in Derek's arms, their legs tightly woven together as Derek affectionately rubbed his cheek on the top of Stiles' head whilst Stiles rambled about his day at work.

"...so then I told her that I'd take the pens off her unless she stopped drawing on the walls but the she told me that her mum had told her that she was allowed to express her creative side!"

Derek laughed softly at the tales that his mate had from his job as a kindergarten teacher and let his mind wander – just as his husband began to recount a ditty about the new boy, who "up until today hadn't even spoken, Der, and then suddenly he's yelling all sorts of profanities!"

Stiles lifted his head from his wolf's muscled chest to look at Derek, "you listening to me babe?" On getting no response, he began to poke his lover, "oi, wolfy!".

Derek wriggled away from the finger and looked down at his husband, any annoyance that he had disappearing instantly as he took in the beautiful face gazing up at him. Stiles was still slightly flushed from their earlier activities and the heat of the evening, despite the cool breeze drifting in through the open window. Derek couldn't resist leaning down to brush a kiss to the younger man's lips, holding his chin lightly as he confessed "I love you".

Stiles' smile lit up as he returned the statement, leaning his head back down on its previous resting position as Derek returned to his nuzzling.

"What were you thinking of then, Der-bear?"

Derek smiled easily at the nickname and thought of his next words carefully, afraid to ruin the peaceful moment. "I was, well I've been thinking...the thing is..."

Stiles pressed a kiss to his stammering partner's chest and laughed quietly. "I thought I was the incoherent one" he teased.

Derek returned the laugh and with a new-found confidence spoke the thoughts that had controlled his mind for the past few weeks. "I want children. With you." He clarified.

Stiles froze, stopping the patterns that he had been tracing onto Derek's body with his fingers and looked up at his husband. Derek stilled too, convinced that he'd overstepped the mark when he had brought up the never-before-mentioned topic. He began to mentally curse himself, not even noticing that a huge grin had crept onto Stiles' face until his husband sat up, pulling Derek into a tight hug in the process and was now peppering his cheek with kisses.

"Really? Yes, yes, yes!" Stiles chanted into Derek's ear. Derek's arms slowly slid around his mate's waist, hope taking over his features as he pulled back slightly to look at Stiles. The joy on Stiles' face and the answer that he gave reminded Derek of when he had proposed, an event which had happened in much a similar way.

"Yes, really." Derek said with his usual eye roll. "I want children with you Stiles."

Derek had barely finished talking when Stiles shot off his lap and ran to his desk in the far corner of the room. Derek was admiring his boxer-clad behind as Stiles bent to pull open the bottom drawer. He took out a large purple ring-binder folder with coloured tabs sticking out from the sides. The younger man came back to the bed and sat cross-legged as he opened the folder.