Half as good

One Year Ago
"Kirst I can let you make all the money! I mean you work as an assistant for one of the biggest fashion companies in te country. You shouldn't be wasting your money on my wellbeing on top of that."
"Mitch, shut up you don't need to get a job. In about a year we can buy an apartment and we can afford the rent. Everything will be fine. Now while I'm gone we need some fruit and some waters. Bye love you!"
"Love you too!"
I have to find a job. Their is no way I'm letting her make all the income. So I get out of our little home in the streets. I look for store trying to fix signs for help wanted but I find not such luck. Then it hits me. I used to sing in school, I was never very good but it's worth a shot.
I grab an empty can and put it in the middle of times square where I am going to sing. I start belting out the lyrics to Find You by Zed. It immediately sounds horrible but I am attracting attention, maybe they feel bad for me. This is the only way I could make money. I finish and immediately money starts filling my can and everybody is clapping a cheering for me. I guess I wasn't as bad as I thought. I sing a few more songs and then my voice is extremely tired. I go to my can and I lol at how much I made, expecting it be a bunch of coins. It was not just a bunch of coins!!! I got twenties! And tens! Oh my god I must have been better than I thought!! After counting up all the money I realize that I managed to make 150 dollars!!! I quickly take the money and put it in my pocket and then proceed to go around town and sing and by the end of it I earned a fantastic sum of 350 dollars. Kirstie and I are getting so close to getting our own place that isn't a hole on the street! Most people wouldn't think that it's that big of a deal, but when your homeless every penny that you save gets you closer to being able to keep a house. No matter the quality.
I race home after getting some of the things that we need I quickly run back to our small little place.
When I arrive I'm surprised to see that Kirstie is already their waiting for me to return. Wow, I really didn't think I was out that long but then again I don't own a watch so I have no concept of time.
"Mitch where have you been? I've been sitting here since I got off of work and you weren't here. I was worried you left."
"I would never leave you Kirst, I found a job and I made a whole fucking lot of money." I quickly show her my cash and we put it in the stash of savings. She looks at me in utter surprise.
"that's more money than I make in a week! Mitch! What did you do to get this?" She has literally no idea that I sing, I don't want her to know. Singing has always been a dream of mine but some things just need to stay in the past. I only brought it back because we need money
"I just fake cried while sitting in the street corner, I told people that all I wanted was the money the buy a phone so I could call my mom and tell her that I'm okay once again." Obviously I could never do that even if I wanted to. I already have a phone, I got a new everything when I moved here. Kirstie and I share a plan. We basically only use them for emergencies, they aren't even top brand so.
"Wow Mitch! Your acting skills must have gotten so much better! You got us a fucking tom of money, you basically just got a huge tip!" She is so proud of me, I'm proud of me also. I can now contribute to making money for my family.
We continue the night just talking and laughing to each other, thinking up te perfect place for us to live when we can afford it. Someday everything is going to work out for us and when it does, all of the people that hated us or did us wrong are going to wish they were half as good as us.