Chapter 3

Lauren's POV

Camila seems like a sweet girl. Larry didn’t warn me that he was sending someone out today, but when he called me to tell me about my Oscar nomination he reminded me again that I need an assistant, so I wasn’t surprised when she showed up.

While we eat our pizza we sit at the island and get to know each other. She’s from Cuba originally and her parents live in Miami, she’s twenty-six, single, not that that matters, and she claims she can make the best sandwiches in California. I’ll be the judge of that. I like that she isn’t probing me; she’s actually done most of the talking, which works for me. I don’t like to talk too much, especially about myself. I’m a quiet person by nature, which makes being in the industry pretty hard. Plus I like my privacy. I also love what I do, so I take the good with the bad.

“So, what made you want to be a personal assistant?” I ask her.

“The rent?” Camila replies.

“Isn’t that why anyone does anything?” I chuckle, “I’m paying you good, right?”

“Uh, I don’t know. We didn’t discuss salary.”

“What kind of bullshit is that?” I grumble. “I’ll call Larry,” I say and reach for my cell phone.

“I’m sure whatever it is, is fair,” she says.

Something seems fishy if you ask me.

“Camila, what person doesn’t want to know what they’re being paid?” I ask and hit send on Larry’s name.

“Lauren, wait! Don’t… don’t call him,” Camila says, reaching for my phone and hanging up on my manager.

“New rule: don’t ever touch my phone,” I say, giving her an odd look.

“I’m sorry,” she apologizes. “It’s just… Larry didn’t send me. I heard from an employee in his office that you needed an assistant–”

“You just showed up at my house and…” I stand up from my chair and ask, “Are you fuckin’ stalking me?” Not that a stalker would admit to it.

“Oh please! This isn’t a Will & Grace episode,” she rolls her eyes. “Your address and pictures of your house are available on the internet. I took initiative. Since when is that a crime?”

“You took it upon yourself to show up at my house. Are you fuckin’ insane? Do you know what kind of shit I deal with everyday and… This?” Fuck this bullshit.

“I showed up to offer my services, not steal your laundry. But you know what? If you’re such an arrogant prick, I’d rather not work for you.” Camila stands up too and tosses some cash on the table. “Thanks for lunch,” she says before walking away.