Chapter Nine

I glance at Diego out of the corner of my eye. He's propped at my computer desk, staring perplexedly at his math homework. I sigh quietly to myself as I realize that this is probably the last time we'll be hanging out like this. "Has anyone ever told you that you have a staring problem?" he blurts, catching me completely off guard.

"What?" I retort as he rolls around in my chair and looks at me. I assess the situation and start having flashbacks to the other night when he was teaching me how to flirt, or more so leading me on. My face begins to burn and he laughs.

"Don't worry. I'll stay on my side of the room," he trails, "unless you want me over there."

I bury my face in my hands and his laughter mocks me. "Stop talking," I complain as I roll onto my stomach and bury my face into my pillow.

"We're still hanging out tomorrow, right?" Diego asks and I roll onto my side.

"Yeah, unless you don't want to," I reply.

"I do," he answers. "Here's the plan. I work tomorrow after school but only until 8. Have your parents drop you off at the plaza at about 7:30; tell them you're spending time with Sage or Diana or something."

"Okay..." I trail. "Why so early?

"Because my job is boring and I like being able to talk to you," he responds. "But I'm not coming back here after school tomorrow."

"Okay," I reply.

"And don't eat anything when you get back," he starts. "We're going to eat."

"Okay," I say, biting back a smile. "What exactly are we doing tomorrow?"

"It's a surprise," he says as he stands up.

"Are we riding your motorcycle?" I ask him. That determines what I do to my hair.

"No," he answers in short.

"Okay," I respond, knowing that if I ask how we're getting around, he won't tell me.

He approaches the door. "Text me if anything comes up," he says as he stands in the doorway.

"I don't have your number," I reply.

"Actually, you do. I put it in your phone a while ago but I figured you either didn't see it or pretended not to," he replies. "Goodnight, Orion." He closes the door and I pull up the contact list on my phone. Diego. Oh.

Later on that night, I approach my parents room and knock on the door lightly. "Come in," my dad calls. I push open the door and peek my head in. They're sitting in bed watching something on television.

"Can I go out tomorrow night?" I ask hopefully. Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes. If they say no then I'll figure out a way to sneak out. There's no way I'm missing out on an opportunity to hang out with Diego alone away from my family.

"With who? Where? When will you be back?" my dad interrogates.

"My friend Sage-," I start and my parents look at each other.

"Sage?" my mom asks.

"Yeah..." I trail, realizing I should've said Diana. I just figured that at least they wouldn't be able to trace Sage if they needed to. And my brothers don't know her either. "I met her through Diego."

"We're going to go see a movie," I explain. "And we're probably going to get dinner. I'm not sure when we'll get back but I'll call you to let you know."

They look at each other before my mom turns to me and slowly nods. "Yeah, just have fun and be safe." I furrow my eyebrows as I look at them before nodding and closing the door. Be safe? What?