Chapter Nineteen

HI GUYS. I KNOW YOU HATE ME BUT JUST GIVE THIS BOOK SOME TIME. I LEFT OFF AT A BAD PART FOR THE HIATUS BUT THE BOOK WILL PROGRESS ON FROM THE BREAK UP <3

The week goes by sad and slow and I'm surprised I survived it when I wake up on Friday morning. My routine is disrupted by Diego's absence in more ways than I realize. In example, on Monday when I arrived at school, Sage called out to me to see if I wanted to get breakfast with them. After a quick examination of the three guys with her, I forced a smile and shook my head, telling her 'some other time.' Chemistry is also awkward. Roman tries his best to make me laugh and not feel uncomfortable at having to sit directly behind Diego but it doesn't work too well. I'm too aware of his presence to engage in much conversation. Also, every time I'm in the hallway getting my homework for study hall, the familiar band of friends walks down the hall and Sage or Quincy asks if I want to join but I just decline and say I have homework.

As for work, Diego doesn't stop in for the half hour before the start of his shift, which I didn't expect him to. He does, however, wait with me until my brother picks me up. He tries to be inconspicuous about it but I know him better than he realizes. He'll always loiter around outside of the shop until my brother's car pulls into the plaza. Then, he'll walk to his bike and start it up. It's endearing but I wish he'd stop.

Sage asks if I want a ride to school on Friday morning and I agree. She pulls up outside of my house earlier than I'm used to. I step out into the foggy air and approach her familiar car, which is empty. "Good morning," she greets me.

"Morning," I respond tiredly.

"How are you?" she asks casually but I can tell which answer she's looking for. 'How are you taking the whole Diego thing?'

"I'm fine...how are you?" I reply.

"I'm good," she says with a nod. "The guys miss you, you know?"

"All of them?" I ask as I keep my gaze out the window.

"Some more than others," she responds. "He wants to talk to you"

"Again?" I retort with a scoff.

"He wants to be your friend," she replies.

"So he was serious about that?" I mumble.

"Yes," she agrees. "I think you should give him a chance."

"I gave him a chance and look what happened," I mutter.

She sighs quietly. "You should talk to him. I think it'll help both of you."

I offer her a shrug as we get closer to the school. "I don't know," I reply. There's a brief silence before she speaks again.

"Do you want to hang out with us at my house tonight?" she asks. "I can pick you up and drop you off."

"I work until 8," I respond as we pull into the parking lot.

"If you decide you want to after work, just let me know," she assures me.

She parks in her usual spot and I notice the familiar motorcycle parked to the left of us. "Are you coming to breakfast?" she asks.

"Some other time," I give her the same excuse as I unbuckle my seatbelt. "Thanks for the ride."

"No problem," she says. I get out of the car and feel Diego's gaze on me from his place leaning against the bike. I don't acknowledge him and walk in the direction of the school. I hurry through the day and fight the awkwardness of being alone. Diana caught the flu and is out of school so I have to skip lunch and power through the discomfort of being near him all on my own. I get home and drop off my stuff before asking my mom to bring me to the bookstore.