Chapter Seventeen

For the rest of the week, Diego and I skip study hall to hang out at his house. We don't bother inviting the others and they don't seem to mind. It makes things easier that Diego's father is rarely home because there's less sneaking around. We don't do anything really. We just kiss, lay in bed, and talk. It's only for a little over an hour and we always set an alarm so he can sneak me back to the parking lot before my brothers get out of class.

Sometimes, we cut it a little too close but I usually just text my brothers. When that happens, Diego drops me off on the side of the school so I can rush across the lot and apologize profusely once I get in the car. I think we've put a little too much thought into this but I don't want to risk my brothers finding out. Nate already knows and Benji has an idea. But Calum doesn't and I know that if Calum and I are arguing, he won't hold back my secret relationship. So, just to be safe, I need to keep everything under wraps. Because if my parents somehow find out, Diego and I are both screwed.

When the alarm goes off on Thursday, we fall back into our routine. Diego groans as he turns it off. He looks at me and sighs. "Come on, get up," he insists, shaking the blankets so I have no choice but to move. I sit up and follow his lead as I put on my shoes and jacket. I do the drill.

1.) I put my backpack on and we wordlessly walk downstairs. He pets Diablo goodbye. 

2.) I get on his bike and wrap my arms tightly around his waist. 

3.) He starts the motorcycle and we're off. 

4.) We arrive a few feet away from my brother's car. 

I note that we're a few minutes early so I take my time getting off the bike. He helps me remove the helmet, holding it under his arm. As I'm about to walk to the car, he grabs my wrist and pulls me to him. He leaves a quick peck on my lips and I smile girlishly up at him. "I'll call you," he promises and I nod.

"Okay, hurry up and get out of here," I insist and he laughs before tugging the helmet onto his head. In a swift motion, he starts the bike and speeds out of the lot. As I approach the car, I notice my brothers sitting in it. Their eyes are all on me as I pull open the passenger's side door. I feel my face drain as I take my usual seat. Act casual. "Hey guys." In an attempt to act nonchalant, I buckle my seatbelt and busy myself with shifting my bag around at my feet. I sit up and sigh in a false relaxed tone. I risk a glance at Calum, who gazes at me with a look of discomfort on his face. 

"Hi," Calum says in an uncomfortable tone. He shifts his faze and starts the car.

"Heeeyyy," Nate drawls in amusement from his place in the backseat.

"So...are we just going to ignore the fact that Orion just pulled up on the back of Diego's motorcycle and then kissed him?" Ben asks.

"Not to brag, but I've known for a while, right O?" Nate pipes as he shoves his head between the two front seats. I'm sure if I was sitting beside him, he'd nudge me in the side endearingly. 

I don't even know what to say or how I could possibly lie to get out of it. "So are you guys going to tell mom and dad?" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"We both know I can keep a secret," Nate says as he sits back and looks between our two brothers.

"I don't care," Ben answers. "As long as I don't have to see that again."

I look to Calum only to see him looking out of the window. "I told you before that I wouldn't tell mom and dad," he reminds me and I nearly sigh in relief. I can sense a 'but' coming so I keep it held in. "But I expect you to tell them soon. I'm not going to sit here knowing that you skip class, ride his motorcycle, and do whatever else it is you guys do."