Chapter Twenty Two

Hey guys. I kind of went MIA for the last three weeks. I just work so much. But I'll be going missing for another two weeks because I'm going on vacation. I wanted to give you guys this before I left. So enjoy this extremely unedited chapter :)

It doesn't take long for my dad to bring Roman back up. Thankfully, I briefed my two younger brothers on what to say if he happens to ask them. So on Monday night when we're all seated at the dinner table and my father nods at me while chewing, I'm not surprised at the words that follow. "Did you figure everything out with Roman?" my dad starts out curiously and my mother perks up.

"Roman?" she asks in slight interest. "Who's Roman?"

"My lab partner," I answer casually as I move around the food on my plate. "Yeah, I did, dad. We handed in the project this morning, actually."

"Do you guys know Roman?" my father asks and Nate shrugs. Benji gives a weak shake of his head.

"I do," Calum pipes up and my dad turns to him with a wondrous gaze on his face. I match his expression while silently swearing at myself for not covering all the bases.

"Is he a good kid?" my dad questions.

"Does it matter?" I blurt with narrowed eyes.

"You spend time with him so yes," my father answers dismissively as he keeps his gaze on Calum.

"Yeah, he's a good kid," Calum assures my dad. I feel gratitude towards Calum, though I'm not sure if I should. He could've easily admitted that his brother throws wild parties every now and again. But he may not know that a lot of the time, Roman is involved in planning them. Regardless, I feel relief well through me as he unknowingly covers for me. "I know his brother."

"That's good," my dad confirms before allowing a silence to fall over the table. "You know you're not allowed to date, right?"

"Dad, I know," I all but snap. Shock falls over everyone's faces and my father narrows his gaze at me. I awkwardly avert my gaze and stare at the half empty glass of water in front of me. My voice grows quiet as I shift around the corn on my plate. "You tell me all the time. I'm not dating anyone."

"Well, I want to know when you're hanging out with Roman and where you're going to be," my father insists. "I'd rather you study here than at his house."

"Whatever, dad," I mumble in response before pushing my plate away from me. "Can I be excused? I have a lot of homework."

By Wednesday, my father seems to have forgotten about Roman. For once, he seems more concerned about my brothers. Benji's practically failing Geometry and Nate's grades aren't failing but just aren't up to par. I pardon myself from that conversation and wait in the car with Calum, who's tapping away on his phone.

"You don't work today, right?" he asks and I shake my head. "Good."

"Why?" I ask as I glance up from my phone.

"We're going over to Greg's house after work to watch the game," he explains and I assume 'we' means all of my brothers.

"Cool," I mutter just as my brothers pile into the car. We start in the direction of the school and I contemplate asking Diana to hang out.

I manage to avoid Roman for most of the day. I see him in passing in the halls and he'll give me a small smile or a nod, which I awkwardly return. The only thing I can think about is the way he looked at me in the car and how I really don't want him to look at me like that again. After lunch, I'm transferring textbooks to my locker when I notice him advancing towards me, as opposed to my usual gang of friends. I quietly start to panic as his footsteps grow closer.