Chapter Eighteen

Hey guys I told you I wouldn't give up on this story. It's been a while definitely but I finally had enough time off to sit down and actually reread the book and get inspired again. So I spent today and yesterday editing and revising the last 17 chapters. If you've not reread them yet, I strongly encourage you to. Some characters have different personality traits now that are key to understanding their further development. I also changed some scenes.

This is such a rocky chapter to start off writing but I figured you guys could use something to hook you back in. I'm not even going to bother with a recap. It's gotten to the point where so much as happened and changed that I just think yall should reread.

ALSO: I used to post some long ass chapters (like 7000 words. Idk if yall know but that's like 20 pages in Google Docs. That's not what's happening anymore. I'll post more often though. I figure you guys prefer 2 shorter updates a month over 1 loooong update every month or two.

Before work on Saturday, I get a text from Sage asking me if I'm down to go to a party tonight. I stare at my homework and sigh. I'll do as much as I can now and do the rest tomorrow. I agree and try to subtly ask if Diego will be there. He's texted me back but not enough. He takes a while to reply and when he does, it lacks substance. I've tried asking if he's alright and if he wants to talk about it, but he assures me that he's fine and that he just needs some time to think. Of course I want to give him that time but I feel like he's drifting away from me.

Orion: So who is going?

Sage: You, me, Quincy, Webster

Orion: Diego?

Sage: He hasn't texted me back yet. Probably, though.

Orion: Okay.

I feel a little disappointed at the fact that he may not even go. What's the point of going if I can't spend time with him? After asking her to keep me updated on Diego's status, I toss my phone to the other side of my bed and work on my homework. When I have a half hour before I leave for work, I hurriedly pack a bag and call my dad.

"Hey, dad," I greet him on the phone.

"What do you need, Orion?" he inquires.

"I was just wondering if I can spend the night at Sage's," I trail.

"Did you ask your mother?" he replies.

"She got called in," I respond.

"Okay, well, it's fine with me," he responds. "Text her and let her know."

I let Sage know about the plans and she tells me that Diego has yet to get back to her. I shove my phone to the bottom of my purse in an attempt to not think about him. I meet Calum at the car and we drive to work in silence. "8 o'clock?" he asks for my pickup time as we pull into the plaza.

"I'm sleeping at Sage's tonight," I inform him as I quickly search the lot for Diego's bike. Empty.

"Is that code for Diego's?" he inquires.

"No, it means Sage's," I respond as I open the door. I allow it to slam shut as I walk into the bookstore. I half expect Diego to be waiting for me inside with a big grin but he's nowhere to be seen. Diana's behind the counter though with a sad smile. She can see my disappointment.

"Any word from him?" she asks.

"Nope, not since last night," I mumble.

"He'll come around," she mutters unsurely.