Chapter 6

Airah

Ummee, when is Abba suppose to arrive? I asked her as she was creaming the salad.

He should be here in not more than thirty minutes. Set the table will you.

It's the day Abba will be back from Jamaica. He went there for business a proposal. Which was also two days after I slept off at work.

When I reached home that day, ummee was at the door. She had been so worried that after I wasn't back by 7:30pm she began to call my phone but I wasn't picking. She grew more worried until she remembered that I gave her my office company line and she tried calling it. Luckily after trying twice someone picked and it was none other than my dearest boss from hell. She asked him about me and he lied  that "I" insisted to finish my work before going home.

Funny enough I couldn't bring myself to tell ummee what actually happened. Although she scolded me that I should be careful with staying late outside after all I'm a lady, It's dangerous. I haven't told ummee all what Mr. Kaseem has been putting me through. I know she will tell me to quit it. At this moment I want to do just that but I don't know what's holding me back. What ever it is I will surely tell my parents when Abba is back.

The ringing of the landline was what brought me out of my reverie. I'll get it ummee.

Walked to the living room and picked the call.

Ahmad's residence... I said into the phone.

What I heard next made my world turn upside down as I felt my heart squeeze like it's been juiced. The phone fell out of my hands as I feel my body falling as well. Ummee silhouettes were the last thing I saw before everything went blank.

******************************
Areef

Uncle A!! I heard the voice of the child I was just thinking about. Eeman ran to where I was standing.

I was just informed that the plane her father was aboard crashed. There said there might be survivors since it was in water. But I'm so scared of what I will be told. I can't bring myself to believe Kabeer is dead. He can't be. He's got a sweet wife. The most amazing daughter and adorable twins. He can't leave them.

I couldn't bring myself to look at the girl. As she tries to get my attention while my eyes were on my feet.

Uncle A? What is wrong with you? Are you sick? Should I call mamy?

She asked all at once. I didnt respond to her and I heard some shuffling and before I know it I heard the door close and she was nowhere in the balcony. She must have gone to get mamy and I can't inform mamy about it yet. Not until I've confirmed.

I dashed for the door and headed straight for mama's room. I was about to enter when she came out with Eeman holding her hands. 

Areef? Eeman just told me you are not okay. And by the look on your face I'm thinking she's right. What is wrong habiby?

Mamy asked calmly. I tried my best to conceal my anguish before looking at her.

Mamy I'm fine. I'm just thinking about some problems at the company. I told her.

Eeman, go to lily's room and play okay. Go on sweetheart. Mamy said to Eeman releasing her hands. Eeman happily skipped to lily's room. Lily is the one who takes care of her.

Areef. Come on in. She said to me going back into her room.

She sat at the edge of the bed so I pulled out her stool and sat on it facing her. I know what is coming.  'Nasiha' (advice).

Areef. I've told you times without number you should not be stressing yourself about work. Look around Areef. What do we lack. Nothing.  And if you are to stop working we would still do the same. Lack nothing. You know clearly that your father's obsession with this work contributed to his leaving us forever. I could hear the cracking in her voice, sadness seeping into every word she uttered about father. His death really affected her.

I've lost your father and I won't loose you too. At least not to the company. So I'm thinking you should settle down Areef. Get a decent woman and get married. At least when you are married you will be distracted from too much work. That is if you choose not to be like your father.

If mamy continues to talk about father I know she will break so I quickly intercepted.

Mamy don't worry. Insha Allah I will heed your advice. You should cease worrying please.

God bless you my son. Now you should go to the airport to get Kabeer because your sister called a while ago saying she can't make it there. Something about the twins.

My heart squeezed hearing her words. I felt so much sadness,pity and sympathy towards my sister. The news will surely shatter her. Mamy adores Kabeer so much he's like a second son to her. Eeman, the twins. Ya Allah what sort of trial are we in. Help us overcome this please.

Areef bakaji bane? Yanxu na gama maka Nasiha amma harka watsar? (Didn't you hear. I just finished advising you and you've started again?)

Hearing mamy's voice brought me back to my current situation.

No mamy. It's just that. ... I trailed off contemplating whether to tell her or not.

Just what Areef?

Mamy..... kabeer's plane crashed but.....

Innalillahi wa Inna illaihi raji'un. Areef what are you talking about again? What do you mean kabeer's plane crashed. I was on the phone with him moment earlier. Please tell me it's just a bluff Areef.

I could feel the hurt in mamy's voice. The way her voice was breaking and cracking. She was now standing shaking my shoulders. I couldn't look up at her. But when I finally did I saw the anguish in her eyes. The way they were pleading with me to tell her it's all a joke. But I couldn't.  Even If I did it won't take a while before she hears it on the radio or see it on TV. So I stood up and hugged her small frame that started convulsing with sobs.

Why dear Lord!! She wailed. Oh my poor son kabeer! Why ya Rabbi. What do I tell eeman? What about my poor daughter?...

She suddenly jerked from me so she could look at me. Does she know? She asked. I knew who she was talking about so I shook my head with a heavy heart.

******************************
I know. Emotional right. It had to be done. And Airah. Oh my poor chatacter. See you next time.