Chapter 5

Natalie's POV

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I shifted and ignored the sound. A few seconds later, it stopped so I continued to sleep.

Ring! Ring!Ri-!

I hurriedly got up and snatched the walkie talkie inside the pocket that was provided in the machinery.

"What?!" I asked angrily at the person who decided to disturb me.

"Natalie..." The person said, shocked from my outburst.

I looked around and came back to my senses. I know the person who called me was Anika. She was the only one who knows I was here. I ran my hands over my face and sighed. Shit! Now I need to apologize to her.

"I'm so sorry, Anika. I was sleeping and..." I cut off and sighed. Why on Earth do I keep on sighing?

"It's okay. I know I shouldn't have called you this early." She said, remorse evident in her voice.

This early? Wait, what time is it?

I looked around and didn't see a clock so I asked her instead. "Anika, is there a clock in here?"

"Yes." She said.

"Where?" I continued to look, but eventually I couldn't see any.

"Just look up." I did what she told me and looked up. I was caught off guard by the object above me. It was so huge. It covered the hole ceiling of the machine, along with the shower head. Why didn't I notice it before? I was with her when she made it, so why didn't I ever notice?

"Woah..." I said with awe.

"I know. Huge right?" She chuckled. I hummed in approval. I've seen that the time was still 4:07 am. Wow, it is early...

"Anyways, why did you call?" I asked curiously, suddenly becoming attentive with the thought.

"I just wanted to check on you." I wiped at my eyes while she spoke.

"Check on me? This early?" I said with amusement.

"Yeah." She chuckled a bit.

"Well then, thank you for checking on me." I smiled appreciatively as if she could see me. "By the way, how are you holding up? Is everything good?"

I heard shuffling in the background and after a few seconds, she spoke. "I'm fine and yes, everything is good."

"Really? How was school?" I continued to ask.

"It's okay. I still miss you though." She said, sadness evident in her voice. "So, how's Rihanna?"

"Robyn."

"Oh, so now you get to call her with her first name?" She said and I could tell that she was smiling slyly on the other line.

"How'd you know it's her first name?" I asked with a laugh.

"Cause, duhh. My best friend is a fan of her and even though I don't want to admit it, but it's contagious." She stated knowingly.

"Oh, so now you're a fan of her?" I mocked.

"No."

"First of all, ouch. Second, if you are not a fan of her, what do you mean by that then?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I mean, knowing that your best friend is a fan of that person, you get no choice but to search about her idols also so that you could keep up with her." She explained.

"Oh, thank you for that wonderful explanation, Miss Smarty Pants." I teased and rolled my eyes playfully.

"Dude, enough with this lame stuff." She huffed. "Answer my question earlier."

I started to think about how much fun Robyn and I had. About some things I found out about her and stuff. "Well, she's pretty great. She's really fun to hang out with. I enjoyed my time here."

"Really?" She asked.

"Yes and that's because of you, Anika..." I trailed off. "That reminds me, I never had a chance to thank you properly. So now I am going to." I cleared my throat. "Anika, thank you so much for all of the things you've done for me. I really appreciate it and I know that you're kind of lonely there by yourself. But don't worry, I made a promise and I'm not going to break it."

"Well, I- I'm speechless." She sniffed. "You are most welcome, Natalie."

After she had said that, I suddenly remembered Rihanna's question the last time we talked. Am I really gonna go to school here in Barbados? I mean, is it possible? And since Anika is on the other line, I should just go ahead and ask her if it's okay with her.

"Anika." I summoned. "Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Is it okay if I go to school here in Barbados?" I asked hopefully. I honestly do wanted to go to school here in Barbados. I just wanted the experience and learning.

It was silent on the other line so I decided to speak. "Anika? Did you hear what I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you." She said without a hint of emotion.

"And...?" I asked, awaiting for her answer.

She sighed and finally spoke. "I honestly don't know, Natalie."

"And why is that?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I mean, what if you get used to it and decided against leaving?" She said sadly. "What about me?"

"I will say it again. I made a promise and I'm not going to break it." I repeated what I said earlier.

She sniffed. "Yeah, okay."

"So you mean you'll let me go to school here?" I asked happily.

"If it makes you happy, then yes." I couldn't fight the smile that's beginning to spread across my face.

"Thank you so much, Anika!"

"You don't have to thank me every time." She chuckled.

"Yeah, well I can't help it." I laughed a bit.

Later on, we said our goodbyes and ended the call. I was planning to go back to sleep cause it's too damn early.

I checked the time again and it was already 4:37 am. So Anika and I talked for about 30 minutes? Well, it didn't feel like it. It felt like it was just for a couple of minutes.

I made a mental note to wake up at 5:30 am so that I could take a bath and head to Robyn's house to tell her the good news.

I really can't wait!