7.

The next day, I wake up early enough to get to the bookstore ten minutes before it opens. I knock and Ambrose answers with a yawn. I greet him as I go to set my bag behind the counter.

"You're here early. Alden was about to leave to get coffee. Do you want a cup?" Ambrose asks.

"Please and thank you." I smile at him as I reach for my bag.

"It's on me. I'm the one who made you come here early on Saturday morning."

"Thanks. I have to go to the bathroom, but I'll take anything with whipped cream."

"Okay, I'll tell him when he comes down." I nod then head to the bathroom.

I do what I need to and look in the mirror. My raven black hair is currently in a messy bun which looks more like a bird's nest. I fix it quickly then walk back out. A guy is talking with Ambrose and I assume that it's Alden. I get back behind the counter and sit on the stool.

"Oh, Helio wanted to talk to you before work," Alden tells me as he pulls away from Ambrose.

"Okay, I'll be right back."

I head upstairs and head to Helio's door. I knock loudly then wait for him to open it. He appears, shirtless and grinning and I don't question it as I walk past him.

"I did a thing and I know you'll love it." He states as he walks over and starts making coffee.

"What is this thing?" I sit on a bar stool and what for his answer.

"I got that picture removed from your internet pictures or whatever. It's still out there, but it will be so much harder to find." He looks so proud and I know I should be, too, but that means he's seen it.

"Uh, thanks . . but you didn't need to do that . . I mean, it was nice of you." I trip over my own words, no words are coming out properly.

"I didn't look at it which may be surprising because I'm a twenty-one year old single male, but I didn't see it. I just had it removed, I promise."

"Oh."

"Luna, it's gone and my eyes didn't even look at it. I'd rather have your permission than just look at it, I swear." I nod, feeling relieved knowing he's telling the truth.

"Okay, I believe you." I admit truthfully.

"Good, now go work your ass off." He chuckles as I start to leave the apartment.

"Planning on it."

☼☾☼

"Fuck, are we done? I think we're done," I mutter as I stretch out.

"You are getting paid like triple. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize how busy we would be," Ambrose explains with an apologetic smile.

"No, don't worry about it. It's only four. I have enough money saved up to last until I'm ninety, but earning my own is better." I lay my head on the counter.

"Jesus, how the hell does that even happen?" Alden asks me as he hops up on the counter.

"Foster care. There was this lady who gave me all of her money and when I'm eighteen, I finally have access to it." I raise my head up to look at him.

"How much money?" He asks.

"Almost eight hundred thousand. I'm gonna use it for college and a decent apartment at first."

"Damn, you will be a rich bitch soon." Ambrose tells me with an impressed look.

"Yeah, I guess. I just wish she wouldn't of left all her money to me."

"Luna!" Helio shouts as he shuts the door to the stairs.

"Yes?" I look at him.

"I'm taking you home so you can change." He states with a big grin.

"Okie dokie. Just let me grab my bag." I get up and walk to the small office where my bag is. I ask him where we're going as I walk back out.

"I dunno. Wherever the adventure leads us to." I hear Helio say as I open the door.

"Ready?" I ask as my phone goes off.

"Yeah, but I can wait."

"Hello?" I answer.

"Where the hell are you?" Kira yells.

"Work. I literally just got done. It was a busy day. I'm sorry." I explain calmly.

"You better not be lying. The lady waited until three fucking thirty! I can't believe you!"

"Ambrose? Did we just finish?'' I hold the phone out to him.

"Yes, it was a very busy day." He answers.

"See, not lying. I'm sorry, Kira. I need to work and I don't care how much I work as long as I'm earning my own money."

"She's coming next weekend. Do not slip-up next time." She hangs up and I groan.

"I really fucked up. I can't work next weekend either." I put my phone in my back pocket, looking at all three of them.

"So what if you missed it? Don't they want you working?" Helio questions with a raised eyebrow.

"I guess not. Let's just head to my house so I can change."

"Missed what?" Alden asks, looking between us.

"I'm in the foster care system and I was supposed to meet with a worker today." I explain.

"You knew this, didn't you?" Ambrose raises his eyebrow.

"Yes, I don't like to attend those dumb things. I had a way out so that's why I'm here."

"Wow, clever girl." Alden jokes bitterly.

"It's not a big deal. C'mon, Helio." I walk out and he follows behind me.

"Alden's a bit of a dick when it comes to females. It's something you get used to." Helio explains as he opens my door.

"Why?" I ask when he gets in the car.

"He came out to his first girlfriend, trying to explain why they couldn't be together. She laughed at him and called him so many names then for the rest of his senior year, he was bullied quite severely."

"Ah, that's so terrible. I had a friend in one of my foster homes and they kicked him out, scared he was gonna do something to the younger boys. It was absolutely ridiculous and I left after that." I look at him.

"How many foster homes have you been in?" He looks at me," If you don't mind me asking."

"No, it's fine. Twenty-one, including this one."

  "Jesus. What have you been through?"