First Date

You had received a text from Greg about an hour and a half ago about dinner. You wasted no time getting ready. Greg stated that the location was a surprise and that he would pick you up at eight.

It is currently 7:45. You are sitting on your leather sofa, nervously tapping your foot. You hear the sudden shuffle of feet, then a knock sounds at the door. You spring up and quickly walk up to the door. You look through the little peephole to make sure that it's Greg. When you see his silver- speckled hair, you sigh with relief. You unlock and open the door, revealing Greg with a red rose.

"Hey." He says. You smile warmly and greet him back. "Oh, I got you this rose. I hope you like it." Greg hands the rose over to you. "Thank you. Will you come in for a bit while I put this in a vase?" You ask, trudging towards the kitchen.

Greg walks inside and gently shuts the door. He stands there awkwardly, as if he had no idea what to do. "You can make yourself comfortable. I have to clean this vase out. It's gotten dusty from being in the cabinet so long." Greg nods and turns to his left. He sees the small table with picture frames scattered around it.

Greg lifts one up and studies it intently. "That's my parents and me." You say, behind him. Greg jumps a bit, startled by your sudden nearness. You wipe the vase out with a rag, drying it off. "You were a very adorable baby." He says, placing the picture frame back. You roll your eyes. "But an even more adorable adult." You say, heading back to the kitchen.

"Where's your parents now?" Greg asks. "Oh, they live in Cornwall. My mum is sick, and so she moved there with my dad to prevent me from feeling burdened by taking care of her. My dad isn't much better off. He is working a small job to pay bills and such. He puts too much strain and stress on his heart. If he keeps at it, he could have a heart attack." You say, placing the vase near a window, and setting the rose into it.

"Well, you ready to go?" Greg asks, changing the subject. "Yep. Ready as I'll ever be." You say. Arm in arm, the two of you leave your flat.

**************

Smiling, you glance down to your lap, your cheeks filling with blush. Greg had just complimented you on your ability to tell stories. You two had been talking about random things, and telling stories about strange things that you'd encountered at work.

"So, your boss did that? To a client?" Greg asks you, smiling. "Yes, and she slapped him right after that. I've never been so amused by my boss' embarrassment in my life!" You say, lifting up your scotch.

Greg watches you adoringly as you take a sip of your alcohol and set it back down. "Hmm. You remember Sherlock?" Greg asks. "Of course. He was deducing us in the hospital." You say. "Right, well there was this one time when he deduced that one of my sergeants and one of the guys on forensics were having an affair. He was right, as usual." Greg says. "Wow. Where I work, you could lose your job for that." You say. "Yeah, well those two were needed, so we couldn't let them go. Otherwise, I would have fired them then and there." Greg says. You nod your head in understanding.

"So, do you have any siblings?" Greg asks. "Uh, yeah. Two. An older brother and a younger sister." You reply. "What do they do?" Greg asks, leaning in slightly. "Er well, my brother is a baker in Manchester. My sister is a, uh- well, I don't know, really. She's had so many jobs." You say. "Hmm. What're their names?" Greg asks. "Clarence and Jaida." You respond.

Greg looks at you, genuinely interested in what you had to say. "So, what about you?" You ask. Greg leans back in his seat and takes a swig of his beer. "What about me?" Greg asks. "Any siblings?" You ask. "Not that I know of." Greg replies.

"Have you been married before?" Greg asks you suddenly. You inhale some scotch and begin to choke. "I didn't know you would respond in that way." Greg says, pounding your back.

"I'm okay now, thanks." You say. "So, were you married before?" Greg asks again, sitting back down in his seat. "Yeah, only for a year or so, until he left me for someone else." You say. "Sounds like we had similar experiences. Except, my wife and I had kids, then she cheated on me countless times. I finally'd had enough and we got divorced. Now I see the kids every other weekend." Greg says. You nod.

"So, what are your kids' names?" You ask, changing the subject.

********

Greg and you leave, walking arm-in-arm. The two of you are walking down the street to your flats.

"(Y/N), you are such a beautiful human being. I have seen so many screwed- up people in my life. You are definitely not one of those. You are just purely beautiful." Greg says. You feel your cheeks get hot. "Thanks, Greg." You say.

"Well, this is my stop. I guess I'll see you soon." You say. "Wait a minute, turn around." Greg says. You do as he says. "Oh dear God. Look, it's a puppy!" You say, pointing towards the small animal. "I had just noticed him." Greg says. "He looks so lonely! Do you mind if I take him in?" You ask. "Not at all." Greg says.

"George? (Y/N)? What a pleasant surprise! I didn't think I would see you two on this street, at this time." Sherlock says, walking towards you. "Sherlock, what are you doing?" Greg asks. "Checking to see how you two are getting on with your relationship. I will assume that you're getting on well." Sherlock says as he rocks back and forth on his feet.

"Yes, quite." Greg says. "(Y/N), in order to see if you are absolutely worthy of Gavin," "Greg." "Uh, Garrett, you need to answer this one question." "Which is?" You ask. "How do you feel about being alone for long hours, then suddenly, Gary comes home in the middle of the night?" Sherlock asks. "I'm used to being alone at all times, unless I'm at work." You say.

"Great. Garren, she's worthy." And with that, Sherlock turns on his heel and walks back down the street. "Well, goodnight, (Y/N)." Greg says. "Goodnight, Greg." You say in return.

That night, you cuddle your new puppy and think of Greg.

A/N

I WILL TRY TO PUBLISH MORE.

I promise I will try to publish more. I was supposed to publish this yesterday, but my dad was being an arse and would not let me stay for two minutes more at my Nana's, where there's wi- fi. Fuck him.

Anyways, I will write more very soon. Relax and give me time.

-Juju