Chapter 6: Solitary Flyer Part 3

Dusty and Chug spent the rest of the day watching movies at Chug's place. While they were engrossed in a horror movie, a sudden knock on the door startled them. Chug opened the fire to see Skipper standing there. "Oh, hey there, Skipper," he said. "Whatcha doing here?"

    "Mind if I steel Dusty from you?" Skipper asked.

    "Sure," Chug answered as Dusty peeked around him and asked, "Skipper, can't I wait till later? It's only 8:30."

    "Come on, Dusty," Skipper said simply as he waked off.

    "Oh, alright," he said. Glancing at Chug, he said, "Sorry, Chug."

    "Oh, it's okay, Dusty. We can always finish the movie sometime," Chug said with a smile.

    Dusty smiled before heading off with Skipper.
......................................................................
    Once they got to Skipper's house, the war veteran let Dusty in first before coming in himself. Dusty was curious about what was happening. "Skipper, why couldn't I stay longer at Chug's place?" he asked.

    Skipper didn't answer as he passed him on his way back to the door, making Dusty nervous. "Skipper, what's going on?"

    "Just drop it, Dusty," Skipper said as he locked the door.

    That reaction made Dusty more nervous. Propwash Junction never been bothered with the locks before. Trying to forget it, Dusty grabbed his blanket, followed Skipper to the living room, and got the blanket over his shoulders as he sat down on the couch. He then felt himself being gently pushed down into a laying position and felt the blanket being pulled up to his chin. He looked up to see Skipper, who was looking down at him with love and fatherness, although he didn't know it. "Good night, Skipper," Dusty managed to whimper out.

    "Good night, Dusty," Skipper replied as he knelt down beside Dusty and nuzzled heads with him.

    Dusty smiled and shut his eyes, suddenly feeling tired.
......................................................................
    The sound of an engine startled Dusty awake. His mind went back to the night Ripslinger nearly killed him as he started to shake nervously. He jumped as someone came into view. He relaxed when he saw that it was Skipper. "Shh, shh, shh. Don't worry. It's alright," he soothed.

    The men sat silently, listening to the sound of engines flying overhead. Both of them went deathly still as they heard the sound of squealing racing boots on the runway. At that, Dusty started shaking hard all over. His eyes grew wide in terror, and he almost fainted as he backed up as fast as the room would let him. Skipper started to move towards him when they both heard voices from outside. "He's not in his hanger!"

    "The coward's probably with his mentor."

    "Shut up, you morons! Let's just get this over with already!"

    At that moment, Skipper had hidden Dusty in the closet downstairs when they both saw and heard the door strain as the intruders from outside tried to open it. "It's locked!"

    "Well, get the door breaker and start barging in if you have to!"

    Skipper felt a growl enter his throat as he heard the door breaker. A protective stance overcame him at the sound of his charge's panicked wines. "Don't worry, Dusty. No one will ever come near you," Skipper said, never taking his eyes off the door.

    The moment the door was broken down Skipper raced towards the 3 intruders, who were none other than Ripslinger and his cronies, Ned and Zed, not ready to give up without a fight. Dusty watched like a deer in headlights as he saw his mentor take them on in a fight. Zed suddenly raced into the house, causing Dusty to shut the door. He kept as quiet as he could, not moving a mussel as Zed searched around the whole house, inside and out. But when Zed finally looked in the closet-no one was there. What he didn't know was that Dusty had somehow managed to bury himself in a bunch of bedsheets to keep himself hidden. From underneath, he was silently crying. He was scared and shaking a little, hoping that he wouldn't be found.

    From outside, the sounds of the fight wore up many of Propwash Junction's residents, many of them getting angry upon reconizing the intruders. Meanwhile, once he got the chance, Dusty raced out of the closest to the nearest telephone and contacted the police. The moment he was done calling for help, he spotted Ripslinger, who had somehow got into the house. "The police will be arresting you, farm boy, not me! I'll make sure of that!" he threatened.

    At that, something inside of Dusty snapped. Before he knew it, he ran towards Ripslinger, throwing punches at him as though to pay him back for what he did to him. Even though Ripslinger was surprised, he fought back harder, finally after a long while managing to punch him square in the face, run his head into the wall several times, and then, throw him to the ground in a heap. He continued to beat him up, punching at him in multiple areas. Dusty couldn't get up; all he could do was cover his head with his hands, hardly holding back his screams of pain. After a while, however, he began to grow strangely numb, even though he was still crying. Now the blows didn't hurt him much. He was near death. His life was flickering out. His eyes were closing. And his cries for help were getting softer and softer.

    Just when it looked like Ripslinger would throw the killing punch at him, he was suddenly shocked with a jolt of electricity at the back of the head and lay in a crumpled up heap on the floor. There stood a policeman, who had arrived in the nick of time holding a tazer, with Skipper right beside him. "Dusty! Son!" Skipper exclaimed, quickly coming towards him with the policeman behind him. "Are you okay?"

    All Dusty did was groan as dark spots clouded his vision. His eyes rolled back into his head as they closed. And his head thumped softly on the ground as he then became unconscious from his wounds.