Chapter 7: Solitary Flyer Part 4

Later that night, Dusty woke up in Skipper's bedroom feeling groggy, confused, scared, and sad. He was crying the instant he woke up, even though he was aware of someone patting his shoulder, saying, "Dusty? Can you hear me, son?"

    Managing to turn his head, he saw Skipper and the policeman who saved him from certain death. The war veteran's heart was touched by Dusty's saddened expression on his face. The policeman stood nearby. "Hello, my name is L.C. Lee. I only want to help," he explained.

    Skipper nodded and thanked him for saving Dusty before turning to his charge and whispering, "There's no need to be scared, Dusty. The police is here. He saved you." By that time, Dusty looked like he wanted to bury himself into his mentor.

    Lee cleared his throat before continuing, "Can I get all the details, Mr..."

    "Just Skipper." The war veteran told him everything that happened since Ripslinger first attacked Dusty. Lee nodded and turned to the weeping young man on the bed. "I need a report from him, to."

    "Sorry, but I don't think that he'll be able to talk tonight."

    "Alright, but I'll still need a report from him. Tomorrow night?"

    Skipper nodded. After the police left with Ripslinger and his cronies, Dottie and Chug arrived. Dottie soon got to work checking on Skipper. Pleased to see that the bite marks on him weren't as deep as she had feared they would be, she cleaned them up before soon trying to get to Dusty, who obiously wanted to stay in bed-under the sheets. "Dusty, please let me have a look at you."

    Dusty just shook his head. "Dusty," Dottie insisted, "the police are gone, and once your wounds are taken care of, I promise you'll start to feel better."

    Nervously, Dusty slowly crawled out, looking around. He nearly jumped as Dottie wiped away his tear stains with a tissue. "Shh, shh," she whispered.

    She soon got to work, cleaning out any scratches and bite marks she found. There was a big bruise on his arm that she decided to get taken care of later. Then, Dusty's whimper got everyone's attention. They all turned their gaze to the ruined, torn-up blanket. "Don't worry, Dusty. But we'll get it replaced if not repaired, alright?" Dottie said, hugging him. "You 2 should probably get some sleep before the sun rises."

    She left 2 cans of oil before she left. Chug followed behind her, but not before giving them a small smile.
......................................................................
    Dusty and Skipper went over to the living room and sat down on the couch. From the front hall, the busted down door was opened to the world. Skipper was about to get some sleep when a sudden weight on his side made him jump. He glanced down to find the young man. It was certain that Dusty wasn't going to leave his side anytime soon. Like a fawn to his mother's side, he thought.

    Making a decision about 20 minutes later, he glanced back at Dusty, who was nestled up to him. "Get to sleep, Dusty. I'll keep a lookout," he said.

    "I don't think I can sleep at all, Skipper," Dusty replied, pushing into his side as much as possible.

    Before long, the morning sun rose up into the heavens. Dusty and Skipper were both exausted. Neither of them had been able to get to sleep, which was totally understandable. After a while, Skipper got up. "I won't be gone too long, Dusty. Just heading outside."

    Knowing that Dusty wouldn't leave him, the 2 of them began waking towards the local gas station, the Fill N Fly. Once they arrived, they sat down underneath one of the steel-made propeller blade roof where everyone was taking. While there, Skipper noticed that Dusty was getting sleepier and sleepier. Soon, he was fast asleep, leaning on Skipper, who was surprised. How can he sleep with all that noise? he thought.

    Then, he realized that everyone around him must have made Dusty feel more secure. Whatever the case, Skipper was happy to stay with him to let him get a lot of catch-up sleep.