Chapter Twenty-Five

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

It took quite some time but Elspeth had managed to get James and Sirius off the idea of attacking Penelope, even though they weren't aware of who had said it. They assumed it was a boy and before she even knew it, once they boarded the train, Remus and Peter were made away and it was about to become four against one. If she was being honest, she really didn't care enough to go through the trouble of having someone fight a battle for her. Sure, it had hurt her feelings to have her friend think she was low enough to use people in such ways, thinking she was going after James rather than helping it. It also didn't help that Penelope supposedly knew her better than anyone else as her best friend and that's what she thought of her. 

Elspeth had kissed a few boys in her time, but there wasn't anything written anywhere that said she couldn't test the waters. She wasn't sleeping with any of them either, she wasn't ready for that. But even if she was, it was no one's business but her own and the person she was with at the time. Penelope made it sound like she was a homewrecker of some sort at only sixteen years old. It only hurt Elspeth's feelings because outside of Frank and Alice when they were attending school, Penelope had been one of Elspeth's only true friends. A person she could confide in, but now she didn't feel comfortable in doing so anymore. Not if the girl was going to think ill of her for things that weren't even wrong.

Not to mention, just when Elspeth thought she was making decent friends among Lily and Marlene, she went ahead and pissed off Lily by telling her the harsh truth. Marlene had loyalty to Lily's friendship since they were friends longer, meaning Elspeth really didn't have any girl friends to turn to. Not that they needed to be girls but sometimes it was easier to relate to her own sex.

She also didn't want to become the fifth wheel to the boys, they had their friendship long established before she kicked James in the face and started dating Sirius. She didn't know what to do or where to go, she felt like a stray cat just wandering about trying to find a warm place to sleep at night. But instead, she was a stray girl just trying to find friends that she could count on and ones that would count on her. 

However, Elspeth would never admit it out loud, she would not admit her insecurities to anyone ever again because she was sure it was just going to be thrown back into her face at some point. 

While she wore the pout internally, it didn't take a brilliant witch or wizard to see that she was upset. She might have laughed off the idea of being called a "slag" but Elspeth wasn't laughing anymore and Sirius could clearly see that. She could reassure them all she wanted that she was just fine, but that didn't seem to be the case at all. So while the boys were busy laughing and sharing stories about their Christmases, James telling them all about Sirius moving the rest of his things into the Potter household and being an official part of the family, there was even a joke about Sirius changing his last name to Sirius Orion Potter.