Chapter Thirty-Three

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

"Hades!" Elspeth called as she found herself wandering aimlessly down a darkened path in hopes of finding the god. With Persephone gone, the god had taken to sealing himself away for quite some time, perhaps hoping that time would go by faster if he ignored the world around him until Persephone returned. But with O.W.L.s so directly looming over Elspeth's head, she found herself seeking comfort in the God of the Underworld, hoping that he had some last minute advice or hopefully something that would keep her distracted. 

"Had-"

"What is your business with Hades?" A voice called out to her causing Elspeth to jump suddenly and turn as she faced the figure that was Thanatos. 

"You really need to stop doing that!" She told him as her hand clutched her chest. "It's really creepy."

"My apologies, Miss Hayes, now may I ask, what brings you here?"

Elspeth glanced around before letting out a heavy sigh. "I'm looking for Hades because I need a distraction," she admitted, "have you seen him? I figure he hasn't really ventured out of here, but-"

"On the contrary, Hades is not here right now, he is dealing with important matters involving the Fates. But perhaps I could serve as the distraction?"

It was quiet for a few moments, the God of Death seemed genuinely interested in helping to keep her distracted, however, the way he worded it caused Elspeth to visibly cringe. 

"I worded it wrong again." He figured it out bringing Elspeth to nod her head and raise her fingers only a mere inch apart.

"Just a little bit. But, um, I guess it wouldn't be a problem to hang out with you," she said with a shrug of her shoulders, not really expecting his company for the afternoon. "I have O.W.L.s coming up and quite frankly, I'm about to lose my mind."

"Why is that?"

The two started walking along, where they were going, Elspeth didn't have the slightest of clues, but she didn't mind it either as she followed the slow pace of Thanatos as he led them along. 

"Because the O.W.L.s are extremely important," Elspeth began to explain, " they determine what classes you're allowed to continue taking. So if you do poorly and don't meet a professor's standard grading in their class, you can't move on. I have to do well, if I want to be an Auror, I have to do well."

Thanatos turned to her, making her once again, feel incredibly tiny in the presence of a god. The only one that actually had found herself feeling truly comfortable with was Hades. Persephone was sweet but Elspeth had witnessed how fast the goddess could turn when she was annoyed so she held fear for the goddess more than she did for Hades, no offence to him. 

"Do you wish to be an Auror?"

"Yes," she nodded. "That's what I want."

"Why?"