Chapter Sixty-Seven

Call her paranoid, but Elspeth sensed that everything was not all right in her world, there was something that was not adding up

Call her paranoid, but Elspeth sensed that everything was not all right in her world, there was something that was not adding up. Sure, she had lived through some odd dreams in her life, but there were always indicators that allowed her to sense that it was, in fact, a dream when she woke up. However, the apparent dream she had experienced was nothing like what she had just witnessed. Waking up in the forest, even if she felt disoriented, she knew something was up. Even if the cut on her hand was gone, she knew it had been there, she knew what she had witnessed. Yet, everyone insisted on telling her that she probably had hit her head and that she needed rest.

Sirius and James had been the ones to bring her to the Hospital Wing, allowing Madam Pomfrey to look her over. But the Healer didn't find anything that was out of the ordinary. Of course, Elspeth couldn't fully disclose the entire situation because she would find herself in trouble for entering the Forest and she would probably find herself in greater trouble if she exposed Persephone's influence on the centaurs. And as much as she wanted to travel to the Underworld right away and demand some answers, Elspeth was aware that without proof it was possible that she would be told a completely different story.

After all, Persephone had called defended her presence against the centaurs, referring Elspeth as her daughter. It didn't seem like a term of endearment that a goddess would use to describe a mortal, no matter how close they were. She sounded angry, angry that the centaurs would dare even approach Elspeth in such a manner. Elspeth could remember the venom that seemed to drip from Persephone's tongue, reminding all that while Persephone appeared as soft and beautiful as the flowers she created, there were still the hidden thorns ready to stab and take blood if needed.

She was Queen of the Underworld for a reason.

With such emotion to her tone, Persephone made it clear that if the centaurs ever dared to approach Elspeth like that ever again that they would be facing her personally. She had struck fear into their hearts before they scattered off and even if Elspeth was supposed to believe that Persephone had done it because the Hayes family was under their godly protection, she didn't. There was something else, the fierce protective nature, Elspeth had seen it many times before with her mother, Sorcha. Such as the way that Sorcha wanted to beat the living hell out of Penelope for calling Elspeth a slag.

There was part of Elspeth that was already feeling torn just thinking about the possibilities. Sorcha and Caelan were her parents, the people that she had known since birth. They had raised her, shown her love, and done everything in their power to make her happy, even if they had some strict rules in place while she was growing up. She would never in a million years ever question if they were her parents or not. But then, when she met Hades and Persephone, there was such a bond, an attachment to having them in her life.

The days she had gone without speaking to Hades had felt terrible and while she had always joked that it was like having a second set of parents around, she hadn't really been complaining about such things. She turned to them for guidance when she couldn't go directly to Sorcha and Caelan, especially when she was away at school and her parents were far away and working.