Chapter 19: portrait

———

———

Lola Dhalia appeared from her back, holding a plate full of potatoes sliced into cubes. She first poured all of it into the pan nearby, and then did a couple of stirring before facing her a bit. Lyca could already smell good food! It made her stomach grumble.

"Mukhang nag-eenjoy ka na riyan ah!" The older beamed, slightly wrinkling the corners of her eyes.

"Oo nga po," Lyca said while still doing her work. She put some amount of tuyo and suka just how Lola Dhalia instructed. Seasoned some pepper and salt and it's done. Adobo's served.

When Lyca woke up, she saw Lola Dhalia all worked up at the kitchen. She had nothing to do so Lyca volunteered to help the older but ended up having free cooking tutorials. She taught Lyca what to do, step by step and she was a great teacher, Lyca supposed.

Maayos na inilagay ni Lyca ang adobo sa bowl bago niya ito ilapag sa lamesa. Lola Dhalia went to get some utencils to taste the food. The older was all poker faced as she slightly sipped the Adobo. Medyo napangiwi pa ito, napangiwi rin tuloy siya.

Lyca swallowed hard. "Is it bad?"

Still, the older's face was hard. "Sigurado ka ba talagang ngayon ka lang nakapagluto?"

Dahan-dahan siyang tumango.

Lola Dhalia's pressed lips broke into a big smile. "Grabe! Sobrang sarap nito!"

Napabuga siya ng hangin dahil roon. "Talaga po?"

"Oo naman!" Masiglang sabi ni Lola Dhalia. "Gab, tikman mo nga 'tong adobo ni Lyca! Naku first time niyang magluto at ang sarap-sarap na!"

Doc Gab was on his white dress shirt rolled halfway his arms, bottomed with some gray slacks and paired with loafers. He put down his stethoscope and slowly entered the kitchen and took a sip of the adobo.

"It's good!" He said, giving his signature genuine smile. "First time mo ba talagang magluto?"

"Iyan din ang sinasabi ko kanina," Lola Dhalia said. "Ang galing na bata."

Doc Gab shrugged. "Well, cooking could be a natural talent. You just proved it."

Uminit ang pisnge niya at napayuko na lamang.

"Sandra!"

They were in the middle of breakfast when Sandra walked in, with her pink outfits. Still a walking pink enthusiast.

"Mom's at work, can I stay here?" She said that with her usual high pitch voice.

Sandra joined the breakfast and sat infront of Lyca, just beside Doc Gab. The narrowed eyes, twisted lips, the exaggerated pout, and the arched brows were all present through out during the meal. Sometimes Doc Gab would notice, Sandra would immediately cover herself. Minsan nauuntog pa ito sa mesa. It made Lyca laugh, on the contrary it made Sandra rolls her eyes more.