Chapter 17: foster

———

It was a nice room. White walls, clean, neatly arranged things and well ventilated space. Windows were opened, giving the outdoor breeze access to enter the vicinity. It's fun to watch the satin curtains swaying and dancing along the air. She closed her eyes when it hit her face softly.

"Sandra sit down properly," the voice was still and calm.

Lyca opened her eyes.

Agad niyang nakita si Sandra na nakakapit sa binti ng binata. Sandra's trembling knees and terrified eyes says only one thing she's scared... of her. She must've recognised her, that explains the reaction.

"I won't buy you ice cream later. If you'll continue to be this hard-headed." Pagbabanta ng binata kay Sandra. "Seryuso ako Sandra."

Sandra pouted, refusing to undo her hold on Doc Gab's knees. Ilang sandali lang din ay tuluyan na rin itong umupo nang may ibinulong ang binata. Pagkatapos noon ay naglakad palapit ang binatang doktor sa kaniya.

"Sorry about that." Doc Gab smiled apologetically. "Let's me see," he kneeled in front of her. Holding her swollen ankle, Gab pressed it gently.

She flinched.

"You sprained your ankle." He put a splint and then covered it with bandage. Lyca was amazed as she watch him effortlessly doing the work. When he's done, he then sealed it with a safety pin.

Pagkatapos noon, dahan-dahang inangat ni Doc Gab ang tingin sa kaniya.

It supposedly a quick glance but Gab's eyes settled on her. His eyes was mysterious, disturbed and chaotic. It felt like he's filled with thoughts and he couldn't seem to voice it out. Just like their first encounter an hour ago.

Bumalik ang mga mata niya kay Sandra na ngayon ay nakayakap sa binti ng lalaki, animo'y nagtatago. White dress shirt, sleeves neatly rolled halfway his arms and paper bags on both sides.

Their eyes met.

Lyca's brows furrowed. Did she just see him froze?

Isang himas ang ginawa ni Lyca bago pinakawalan ang aso. Agad namang lumapit si Sandra at binuhat ito.

She had already taken quite a step before she stopped.

"Wait!" That voice stopped her.

Pumihit siya paharap. It was the guy beside Sandra. Napaatras siya nang hindi niya inaasahan ang mabilis ng paghakbang ng lalaki sa kaniya.

The guy looked tensed while looking at her with his deep eyes. He opened his mouth but ended up closing it again. He frustratingly closed his eyes as well.

"Bakit?" Siya na lamang ang nagsalita.

Mabilis na umiling ang lalaki. "Nothing. I thought you're someone I know."