Chapter 35: miserable

———

———

The flames were vibrant. It appeared like a huge spatter of colors in a canvas. The reds were at the right shade. Some were hot red like the fire itself. It was warm against his bare face. Some were crimson like blood. It lustered softly in his eyes.

The way it dances around along with the night breeze who pushes it farther like a paint brush, it was enchanting in his eyes. He was bewitched. Judge was like an attentive audience in a live painting exhibition. Every glide of the wind against the fire was breathtaking. It startled his pupils yet he couldn't afford to lose his eyes from the beautiful art.

Napakaganda.

Nakakabighani.

Gusto niyang hawakan ito.

"Judge!" she gasped. "W-what are you doing..."

It was Lyca. She was like a reminder that he shouldn't be stuck in his reverie, Lyca pulled her effortlessly, even opened the door for him. As if on queue, as if exiting the room of his fantasies, he was indeed woken up. The sad sky rumbled, until his tears began to fall. It wasn't long when it smudged the canvas and killed the furious fire, the beautiful piece of art.

--

The walls were opal white. The harsh outdoor air from the opened window forced the satin curtains to sway around. The windowpane whimpered against the rugged downpour of rain. It even wetted the curtains and the table across with its hard splash.

Judge watched it, nonchalant of the copious rainfall brought by the wind that moistened his tees. It's five in the morning and the sun hasn't shone yet. Si Judge ay gising na gising pa rin. He got an hour sleep but stayed wake for the rest of the hour until his body clock told him it's morning.

"Rise and shine, asshole," Judge said when he heard a groan and followed by the sound from the bed sheets. He slightly turned to see Jeru. Nakaawang ang labi nito habang umuupo sa kama. Nakasabit ang ilang aparatus sa katawan ngunit pilit niya itong tinatanggal. On the other hand, Jung was sleeping soundly, seated on the chair beside Jeru's bed.

"Anong oras na?" Jeru asked hoarsely.

"Quarter to five. Dinala ka namin dito mga hating gabi." Judge averted his eyes to the outdoor's scenery where the rain didn't stop since it fell. "You should be thankful for the rain. It saved you."

Jeru's voice was weak and hoarse. "I didn't ask for it."

"So you're disappointed?" Judge muttered softly without taking off his eyes from the downpour. "Tell me Jeru, how are you so fearless?"

Jeru sighed but didn't emit any words.

"Did it hurt?"