10. Haywire

Both Mads and Patricia decided to not discuss their last night incident. The kiss was all over the news and Patricia was getting frustrated. Her parents must have surely seen the news but she hoped they didn't. They were too busy to see Hollywood gossips anyway. Patricia noticed how silent Mads was than usual. They were on the sets of "Arctic" and Mads was working more than he usually does. Patricia didn't really care what happened to his personal life but by the looks of it, it had to do something with his family. I wonder what it is. She played on her phone just to brush away the thoughts - that's when she got a call from an unknown number.

"Patricia, is that you?" a very familiar voice spoke.

"Yes, who's this?" she asked in return.

"I am Ridley. We met last day, remember?" the man finally introduced himself.

"Oh, Mr. Scott. How are you?" Patricia found herself flustered and nervous.

"I am alright. You wrote a great script! I finished it in one night. I would love to direct this but for that, I'll get a few producers on board and let you know," Ridley answered.

"Oh my God! Are you serious? Thank you so much, Mr. Scott. I can't believe my ears," Patricia's smile widened.

"No problem! I know when to give talents like you a chance! Now I have to go!" Ridley's voice was hurried.

"Sure, bye!" She hung up.

Her heart was racing. She was finally getting her big break. She was so happy and wanted to let her parents know about it. She ran through her contacts to call her mom when Mads screamed for her.

"Mads, I am here," Patricia quickly walked to the angry man.

"We have to leave," Mads said and picked his bag.

Patricia was confused. Their flight was at least 3 hours later. However, without a fight, she followed him to his car. The silence started to bother her and she finally decided to ask him the million dollar question.

"What happened?" Patricia faced him.

"Since when do you care?" Mads asked in return.

"I don't care but the silence is stupid," Patricia answered.

"Well, if you don't care, then don't ask," Mads spoke.

Patricia sealed her mouth shut. Why does it even hurt? Patricia rolled her eyes and looked out of the window. "The night we met" by Lord Huron played on the radio as they drove along the highway. She closed her eyes and started to think how far she has come with her life. She imagined her life to be slightly different than how it turned out to be. She thought that with her qualification, she would be directing movies or something. Life isn't as easy as it seemed to be back then. As for Mads, his daughter's text kept on replaying in his mind. He never thought that at the age of 51, he would have to listen to his daughter saying as demeaning as this. It was a wrong move by him. His drive for taking revenge on his ex-wife led him to this weird situation. He sighed. Should I tell her about this? He thought to himself. She doesn't care so why should she even know of this? He argued with himself. He sighed heavily. He never imagined that he would be here, after all these years, alone and be going through a heartbreak. He has known love only because of Hanne and now she abandoned him. Where would I go without you? A tear slipped down his cheek which he quickly wiped. He didn't want Patricia to notice it. Mads didn't want to be made fun of, at least not his feelings.

Patricia noticed his eyes were teary. She looked away. Why is he crying? She thought to herself and awkwardly scratched her neck. She had an eery feeling that something had happened but he wasn't answering and so she didn't want to push it. She bit her lip and sighed. 

"You know you can tell me what's bothering you," Patricia quickly said. Phew.

"Viola texted me," Mads replied plainly.

"What did she write?" Patricia asked, nervous.

"It wasn't anything nice," Mads answered. "Plus, the text is written in Danish so you wouldn't understand," he added as soon as she was about to unlock his phone. Damn it, Mads.

"Fine," she huffed. 

There was a silence again. They reached their hotel. Without another word, they went to their room and packed their bags before leaving for the airport. Patricia didn't know how to console him because she was unaware of what he was going through.

"Mads, look, I don't know what happened but I want you to know that maybe she didn't want to hurt you with whatever she said," Patricia told him as they walked into the airport.

He simply nodded and showed his passport to the authority and walked off. She did the same and they soon were inside his private jet. She sat across him and played with her phone, trying to forget whatever she said.

"I want to think that she was just angry when she wrote that to me but I have a bad feeling that she meant whatever she said," Mads finally decided to speak.

"We say a lot of things when we are angry," Patricia pointed.

"I know Viola more than anyone else. She is my daughter and I know how serious she was when she wrote it to me," Mads replied.

"She wrote it over text, so you wouldn't know," Patricia made him understand.

Mads was quiet. She did have a point but then again, it was Viola. His daughter whose every move was memorized by him. Mads didn't want to argue with her on that. For now, he didn't really want to think about what his daughter wrote to him. She didn't understand him. She never would. She was still very young to understand her father. He sighed and sipped on his beer. 

"Just relax, alright? By the way, Ridley Scott is interested in directing my script. He's looking for producers," Patricia informed.

"That's great! Let me know what happens," Mads chirped.

This was the first time in months that they had a decent conversation without a thought of killing each other.