36. Pocket full of awards

You know when they say there is happiness after sadness, a lot of us don't believe in it. It has been two years since I started my cancer treatment. The doctors say that I have recovered thirty six percent. I am progressing really slow and so they extended my treatment. I have lost lots of weight and I have no hair on my head. Mads says that I have a very beautiful skull shape. I always laugh and I have been writing my private journal for a year and a half as well. I think if I die, they will find this journal and publish it. I might be finally called an author after death, perhaps. The fear of losing my life has always been lesser than losing Mads and my family. My father and I are in a decent condition now. He likes Mads a bit more than before I presume. 

The good thing about all of this is that I got Oscars. Yes, can you believe it? I got four Oscars twice in a row, Chicago International Film Awards, Golden Globe, Sundance Film Festival, Felix Awards, BAFTA, Cannes - you name it. I finally wrote and directed three movies of my own - The Shape of Water, La La Land and The Danish Girl. I also directed two movies which were written by other writers - The Theory of Everything and The Great Gatsby. If someone looks at me, they would say I am an inspiration. At least, that's what Forbes said. I have successfully hid my cancer from everyone and maybe that's why people think I am such a happy and fulfilled person. Maybe I am, because I have friends and family helping me throughout the treatment. Aunt Dahlia, Nathaniel and his fiance, Larissa come to visit me from Paris at least thrice a year. Mum and papa were staying with me until I forced them to go back to Madrid for their work. Scarlett helps me with so many things, especially the days when I can't get up my bed. Mads never missed one single day for my chemotherapy and he even memorized names of my medicines. Carl and Michelle come to visit me whenever they come to L.A. 

I haven't yet met Viola. Mads started talking to her since last year and she has only been in contact with him. One night I heard him asking her to come to see me but I think she rejected his proposal. I am sure she doesn't like me even a single bit and I don't blame her. Hanne once came to see me during one of my chemotherapy sessions. She told me to stay strong for Mads and wiped her tears quickly. She thought I didn't notice but I did. She divorced her second husband, Gerhard, three months ago and now lives with Viola in Denmark again. I heard that Gerhard was very abusive with her and that's what caused the separation. Urnisha, Luke and Belinda make my life easier with their hard work and they stay so much strong for me. These people are my sources of positive energy in work. As for me and Mads, he didn't ask me the question and honestly, I am glad that he didn't. I don't want to be a burden on him forever. 

As long as I live like a normal person, I love every second of my work. They call me a critically acclaimed writer and director. Eight movies and a pocket of full of awards - my life is every bit of success that I once only dreamt of. Maybe not in a situation where I am probably dying but nonetheless, my dreams came true. Tonight will also be a beautiful night because I am going to Met Gala with Mads. 

Patricia closed her diary and kept it in her locker before fixing her hair. She loved her hair and so her doctor was giving her medicines that would help her keep her hair as long as possible but she could see the signs of the medicines not working anymore. She had lost a lot of hair already. Sighing she walked out of her room where Mads was waiting for her.

 Sighing she walked out of her room where Mads was waiting for her

"You look gorgeous," Mads kissed her cheek.

"Thank you," Patricia kissed him softly. "But I look like a clown," she joked.

"A little," Mads joked back.

"I feel like they will understand that I lost weight," Patricia bit her botton lip nervously.

"It doens't matter," Mads squeezed her hand.

She got into his car and they both drive to Met Gala. The cameras went off and everyone took pictures of them. She smiled and waved her hand at everyone. Mads held her waist and posed for pictures. The overwhelming adrenaline rush never went away. After the pictures were taken, the duo walked inside. The decoration was beautiful as usual and they sat in their designated seats.

"I was looking for you," Scarlett hugged her from behind.

"Hey! I sort of took a longer time to get ready," Patricia replied.

"You look beautiful," Scarlett grinned.

"You look gorgeous yourself," Patricia smiled.

The Met Gala's performances started and people started to bid on different paintings. Patricia watched everyone. Suddenly, a man sat next to her. She didn't really notice who it was until the  started to talk. 

"Hello, I am Anthony McLoughlin," the man introduced himself. The name sounds familiar.

"Hello," Patricia smiled weakly.

"I am a fan of your work," Anthony complimented.

"Thank you," Patricia replied quickly.

"I have a work for you," the man moved his chair closer to hers.

"We can talk about work once you take an appointment," Patricia politely dodged him.

"Of course, I thought you were free to talk but I understand, it's hard to feel alright after all the chemotherapy," Anthony cleared his throat.

Patricia stopped for a second. How did this man know about her chemotherapy? Who was this man? She looked over her shoulder and could not find the man anymore. She couldn't portray his face in her head due to the dim light. Mads joined her back at the table.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I am okay," Patricia smiled weakly.

Mads nodded and handed her juice. She sipped on her juice while trying to figure out who that man was and what he wanted out of her.