37. Forced friendship

The next day, Patricia sat in her office going through a few emails when her door bell rang. Patricia opened the door and found a man standing at her doorstep. 

"Who are you? How did the guards let you in?" Patricia asked, worried.

"I just need to talk to you, please," the man begged. "I am Anthony from Met Gala," he introduced himself again.

"Wait, how did you know about my chemotheraphy?" Patricia asked with her arms fold.

"Can I come in and tell the rest of the story?" He asked, uncomfortably.

Patricia let him in, sort of questioning her decision. She let him sit in the living room and sat across him. He looked around the living room and she still wondered how he got into her estate.

"How did you get in? What did you do to my guards?" Patricia asked.

"Your guards were a little unmindful so they didn't notice me coming in," Anthony replied. "Nice place you got," he complimented.

"Thank you but what do you mean by unmindful?" She asked, furrowing her brows.

"They were smoking, alright? They didn't see me coming in with your gardeners," he answered.

"Gardeners?! You dressed up as a gardener to come inside my house?" Patricia exclaimed.

"I am just smart," he cockily replied to her.

"I asked you to take an appointment," she pointed out.

"They would have never given me an appointment. I am not a Hollywood A-Lister," Anthony sighed. "The point is I want you to direct a film that I wrote," he added.

"You can't just burst into my house and ask me to direct a film for you. How insane are you? How do you even know where I live? How do you know about my chemotherapy? I have so many questions," Patricia started to pace around the house when she suddenly felt a pair of arms around her.

"Let's take you to your bedroom," she heard Anthony whispering in her ears before everything blacked out.

She opened her eyes slowly and saw Anthony sitting next to her bed with a syringe in his hand. Patricia jolted away from him.

"What are you doing to me?" She was terrified.

"Relax, this is not a movie - I am not poisoning you," he chuckled. "You forgot your medicine today morning, I presume," he added and pointed her to come closer to him.

She stared at him before scooting closer at him. He took her hand and shot her medicine in her arm. She flinched a bit before yanking her hand from him. Who is this man? Why is he here? Am I dreaming? She sat quietly on the other end of the bed.

"I think I owe you some answers," Anthony said, almost inaudible. "I am Cara's brother," he added.

"Cara McLoughlin? That's how your name sounded familiar," Patricia replied.

"Yeah, well, she was diagnosed with Type 3 diabetes and we were treating her here in L.A and that's when I saw you. I was already living in L.A struggling between my work at a publication agency and my dream to be a screenwriter. She came here with her daughter, letting me know that she and Sean separated. Sean didn't get the custody of Cassandra and with Cara's troubling financial situation, she needed my help with her treatment. She died a month ago and I let Sean know about it but I don't think he received my message," Anthony sighed.

"They got married?" Patricia asked.

"No, they were just living together for a month less than 2 years but they were fighting either ways. I knew you were Sean's ex girlfriend," Anthony answered.

"Why me? I mean, why come to me for your film?" She asked, concerned.

"Actually, I need help with two things," he bit his lip. "No one will take a look at my script. I have submitted the script too many times, I lost count. Just take a look at it and give it a shot. I know you give chance to newbies and make it into blockbusters. Help me out?" he added.

"What's the other thing?" She narrowed her eyes.

"I need you to take care of Cassie. She is only two years and she needs a woman to take care of her. I am not fit that part," he chuckled nervously.

"Where are her grandparents? Where's Sean and his parents? Do they not care?" She asked.

"Look, Sean's parents never gave a shit about Cara or Cassie. They just wanted to keep their business out of Sean's mess so Sean agreed to take care of her and Cassie. They always fought and Cara forced him to put a ring on her. They were engaged before they broke up. I knew that they wouldn't get married. My parents aren't alive so yeah, I am the only family Cassie's left as of now," Anthony informed.

"But won't Sean want her back?" Patricia asked.

"I am sure he wouldn't. He didn't put up a fight during her custody. Cassie was always a burden to him," he replied.

She never knew Sean could be non-empathetic to a child, especially a child of his own. She sort of was glad that they didn't end up together. But she was ill herself, how could she take care of a little girl? But she understood Anthony's position.

"I will take a look at your script. Do you have a so-" she was cut off.

"Here's the pendrive," he handed her the little gadget.

Patricia got up from her bed and walked downstairs in her office where she shared the document to herself. Returning the pendrive, she offered him something to drink. He agreed to a cup of coffee. She gave him a cup of coffee.

"About Cassandra," Patricia paused. "I have to ask Mads about this," she added.

"You two live together?" He asked.

"We don't but he is with me almost all the time," she replied.

"Look, I can go to no one else with Cassie and I am clueless on what to do. You're my only hope," he looked at her with a lot of hope and concern.

She didn't know how to say no to him but this was a big decision. This child was not hers, rather of the woman that her ex-boyfriend rebounded to. She never held a grudge with Cara but there was something sour with the two of them. 

"I will let you know within tonight, I promise," Patricia smiled weakly.

"I hope the answer's yes," he smiled back.

"Do you have her guardianship now?" She asked.

"Yes. When the custody happened, Cara knew she was dying. She made the paperwork in a way so that I get her guardianship after she dies," Anthony sighed.

"I am sorry about Cara," she breathed out.

"She is in a better place now," he assured her. 

Patricia opened the door for him and waved him goodbye after they exchanged numbers. She was all alone in her home again, full of thoughts. She just decided to read his script.

"The Darkest Hour," she read before scrolling down.