Seventeen

*I know based on the handbook Keith is technically 18 but just go with it because I love Heathers*

"Keith, you can't just shoot first, ask questions later! That's not how we work! We're defenders of the universe, that means everyone." Lance  was furious. Sure, the mission was a success, if success means Keith practically almost died. He waltzed right into Lotor's ship, where he almost killed the prisoners Lotor held captive. Some what luckily, he and Lance got jumped by Lotor's generals before Keith could actually do anything.

Keith nearly took a bullet.

The prisoners were safe and Lotor backed off, but it didn't sooth Lance at all.

"Yeah, well, unlike you, I'm not in it for the glory! I'm just trying to do my job!" Keith shouted back.
"Glory!? You think this is about glory? I just want to keep everyone safe!" Lance could feel his face getting hotter with anger.

What really made him upset was when Keith pushed him. It was rough, but not particularly effective.

"Oh sure! You want to keep them "safe." No, you just want everyone to think you're all high and mighty! But we all know you're really n-" Keith stopped suddenly when he saw the look on Lance's face.

He was biting his lip, probably to stop the tears that has formed at the corners of his eyes. His cheeks were red, whether from sadness or anger, he didn't know. "I didn't-"
"Not. You were gonna say not." Lance said quietly.
"Lance, I didn't mean-"
"You're right. I'm not high and mighty. I'm the least of any of you."
Keith didn't say anything for awhile, he just starred at Lance.

"When did we become like this? When did we stop being kids?" Keith asked, whispering.
"Can't we be seventeen? Why can't we be seventeen?" Lance sat down on the couch. He was crying now.
"We're so...damaged." Keith said finally.
"I miss being a teenager, Keith. I miss not feeling so alone."

Lance sounded so broken it practically made Keith want to hug him and never let go.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I-"
"Yes you did. But it's okay. It's the truth." Lance sounded like he was trying to joke, but it wasn't working. He wiped his eyes on his sleeve. "I have to believe there's something that still makes us seventeen."
"Everyone I loved on Earth vanished." Keith said suddenly. He regretted it, because he was supposed to comforting Lance, not the other way around.
"I'm not going anywhere." Lance promised.
"I miss bad movies and poker." Keith scoffed.
"I miss brownies."