Never Again

Emily POV

Emily POV

I stop dead at the sound of the voice I never thought I'd hear again. The image of a scared little girls flashes through my mind as memory after memory resurface. The day I first started work for Madame Adelaide when I was ten and then later on, after a few weeks walking home I come across a girl around the same age as me on the curb of the street. Months passed where I would always see her before one day when she actually talked. That was the day when I found out her name was Maddie and she was ten just like me. When I asked why she was always on the street she said she had no home. For the upcoming weeks I would sneak food from work for Maddie to eat, until one day she wasn't there.

Looking at the girl standing in front of me now I can still see the tell tail curly blond hair and dark green eyes from over seven years ago. But so much has changed. Her figure is no longer small and scrawny from malnutrition, no now he seems perfectly healthy with a pristine maids outfit. That's when everything clicks.

"How are you here?" Is the first thing I'm able to build into a coherent sentence.

"Emily I've missed you so much" she exclaims while running into my arms.

"I thought you were gone" I cry into her shoulder, unable to hold back the tears any longer.

"I was able to find a job here so I had to leave" Maddie explains.

"I'm just so happy you're ok" I say pulling back and wiping away my tears.

"I just can't believe YOU'RE here" she saying looking pointedly at my dress.

"Oh yeah" I giggle at how much has really changed. "Well u know what Madame Adelaide is like".

"I would say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Not after all you told me about her" we both momentarily grimace at all the stuff I used to tell Maddie when we were younger.

"Maddie! What are you doing standing there talking? You're needed in the laundry room" A voice interrupts our conversation from down the hall.

"Of course Abi, I'm just coming" Maddie replies in a rush, reminding me of how I would talk to Madame Adelaide. "I'm sorry, be careful" she quickly apologises before running into the distance. Within a second her figure disappears leaving me standing alone in the dimly lit corridor. Only then do I realise what she said. What does she mean by 'be careful'?

Does Maddie know something I don't?