Responsibilities

For someone who is recently engaged, you would expect smiles and laughter, public displays of affection but not from me. In a sea of colorful dresses, I'm the only one looking as if anything remotely tragic took place only hours ago. You would think a silence would be in order for not just Gretel but all the fallen, all the innocent lives stolen from families and friends. But no, the girls carry on as if nothing remotely interesting has happened. The only comment remotely related to the attack earlier is Alice complaining.

"God, I get that the chef is dead but come on there must be someone in this place that knows how to cook" her annoying voice continues throughout dinner. Cyden continuously tries to catch my eyes but I can't bear to look at him right now. He represents everything good in this world and in this moment I'm nothing but grief and darkness. "My maids wouldn't stop crying either, apparently some stupid maid got herself killed".

"You know what Alice, some people aren't as fortunate as you. They can't just hide when anything remotely bad happens, and because of this, the 'stupid maid' you were talking about has been taken from her younger siblings. Cant, you even stop to think for a minute about anyone but yourself. And by the way, the maid has a name and It's Gretel", with that I push my chair back almost knocking it over and leave without even waiting to be dismissed. In an instant, I'm back to the weeping mess I was only minutes before. Derik pulls me into a hug and leads me back to my room and this small gesture warms my heart. 

Without saying a word about my early arrival, Anne and Lucy prepare me for bed and leave me to the silence of my own thoughts. Feeling the cold metal of the ring underneath the neckline of my dress, I cling to the happy moments I've had while staying here instead of all the heartbreak and bloodshed.

The next morning I wake up to a rapid pounding at my bedroom door. "Ugh shut up!". The noise finally stops and I relax back into the cloudlike pillows.  

"Emily wake up", I groan and rub my eyes of sleep. Opening my eyes to the morning light, I see Cayden in the same suit as last night but more messed up; untucked shirt, loose tie, and ruffled hair. 

"What are you doing?" I groggily question, still half asleep.

"I've been up all night sorting out arrangments for umm.." Cayden gives me a sorrowful look before continuing, "Gretel's funeral and her younger siblings".

"Oh", I sit up as all sleep disappears and I'm reminded of yesterdays events. 

"Well her funeral will be tomorrow and she will be buried next to her parents. However, while looking into her family I found out that her siblings were being taken care of by their neighbor who recently died and there are no other relatives who can take them In". This time the tears aren't only from the loss but from my love for Cyden, how he could stay up just to help plan a maids funeral. 

"Thank you Cyden for planning the funeral" I fall into his arms and I'm immediately surrounded by his scent. 

"Anything for you Emily. What should we do about her siblings? they relied on Gretel sending her paycheck to them", without even thinking I know what to do.

"I'll adopt them".

Standing outside of Gretel's home, simple but sturdy, reminds me of my own home

Standing outside of Gretel's home, simple but sturdy, reminds me of my own home. Cayden knew once I made my mind up about something there was no going back, so I left straight away and here I am. Surrounded by the palace guards, I'm hardly being inconspicuous as the villagers look on with intrigue and surprise in their eyes. They've probably never seen anyone from the palace before, apart from on the report. 

With a strong knock from one of the guards, I wait in anticipation. Every second that passes my heartbeat speeds up. Before I can have a full-on heart attack the door is opened by an elderly woman. 

"You must be Debby" I offer my hand as a greeting.

"Oh! Lady Emily" she stands in shock before stumbling into a curtsy.

"Please don't" I pull her up, "I'm Emily". 

"Yes, I got a call from the prince himself explaining the situation" Debby lowers her head to cover up her tears.

"I'm so sorry for your loss".

"Let's go get Madison", we're lead into a small sitting room that contains a very old television, most probably to watch the report on, and a worn leather couch. In the corner sits a smaller version of Gretel, same eyes, same hair.

 In the corner sits a smaller version of Gretel, same eyes, same hair

"Emily meet Maddison".