C H A P T E R 25

Can you run from your past?

Can you hide so well that it is never able to locate you?

What happens when you are the one who seeks to find it instead?

Does it continue to haunt you or does it give you the closure you so desperately ache for?

Answer to yourself silently, don’t let anyone hear you and then remind yourself you are lying.

Celia had lied to herself a lot those past five years. One lie that was repeated constantly was that she didn’t care that she was going to start fresh and try to leave behind and forget, bury even, the past.

Calling Gabriel had caused so many lies to resurface.

Lies she had told him after she run to him the moment her father had shown her to the door. He had known she had lied but he hadn’t cared. He had given her a place to stay, he let her have his name and her cut from their inheritance which allowed her to act like a nomad for a few years.

During those years, there had been no contact between them. She had never tried, she had never even confessed how painful it was for her to walk the crowded streets of Palermo, how the guilt haunted her and Gabriel was a firm believer that you shouldn’t cage anyone. If they desired to fly away, you gave them wings and hoped that one day they would return to you.

And she had, she had returned to him or would it be more correct to say that he had returned to her?

Gabriel had honour and he believed that nothing in the world mattered more than family, having lost both of his parents at a young age, he clung to whatever he believed was steady enough to keep him afloat.

Gabriel the only family she ever truly had.

He was the only one who cared enough.

Until Ax.

One hour had passed since Gabriel’s flight had landed yet he hadn’t appeared, even though punctuality was one of his best traits

One hour had passed since Gabriel’s flight had landed yet he hadn’t appeared, even though punctuality was one of his best traits. Celia was sitting on the hood of her black Impala, waiting patiently for him to show up.

She wasn’t aware at the time, but it would take another forty-five minutes for Gabriel to make his appearance. But when he did end up turning up, he did it in style, as always.

His suited figure was being accompanied out of the side exit of the airport. The man walking next to him was probably a manager of some sort who simply had to see that every need of Gabriel’s had been met. Celia rolled her eyes playfully, never even daring to take them off of him.

It had been too damn long yet he looked exactly the same as to she remembered him. His pale golden eyes of melted amber and Sun shone as a few, trembling rays of the morning star touched them.

The man who even the Sun was terrified to touch.

There had always been something strangely dark about him, even when he had been a kid. He might’ve inherited his mother’s eyes and her dark brown, almost black hair but he had his father’s roman nose and his darkness and that is why he always looked so stern. If one didn’t know him, he’d think that he was incapable of smiling.