C H A P T E R 15

Some monsters are out for blood and some are out for your heart.

Some might even watch you when you sleep. They creep closer to the warmth your body projects and slowly yet steadily they reach your sleeping form. They touch what they consider their own. They caress the naked flesh, kiss each and every contour of your body until they ultimately create a place for themselves there. You see, monsters are creatures of habit, they find a home and stay there until the end of their lives.

Ax was a rare monster, he had a heart. That meant if he found a home not even the most powerful exorcism in the world could send him away.

He was relentless.

Celia looked so young and vulnerable tangled up in him

Her sleep was usually restless but at that moment, on top of that car where her body was almost crushed by Ax’s weight, she was peaceful. There were no nightmares, no memories that had resurfaced.

Jay’s face was not haunting her.

Her past had not decided to reach the surface that particular night.

But even if it hadn’t graced her with its presence, it was lurking somewhere in the dark corners of her mind, along with all her other insecurities.

Her father rested there, along with Jay, along with all the verbal abuse she had suffered.

They were all there, but she was with Ax.

Ax watched her sleep. He watched her cuddle closer to him, seeking his warmth. Her arms were tightly wrapped around him, her head was laying on the crook of his neck. Her breaths hit his skin and it was only then that he realized how much he had missed her.

Not only her body but her. Her fiery personality, her wit, even the way she could go on and on talking about things he couldn’t begin to fathom.

Ax was conflicted, he didn’t know what to feel or to think when it came to her. What he did know was that he couldn’t let her sleep on the damn car all night. So, he slowly detached himself from her sleeping form, careful not to wake her and put on his pants before searching for the second pair of keys he had laying around.

Once he had located them, inside a miniature car his father had gotten him at the age of five, he unlocked the door. It seemed almost impossible to open the heavy metal door without making any sound, however, Ax did everything in his power to minimise the dragging noise.

Celia didn’t even stir.

He considered that as a personal success and went on with the task at hand, which was a lot less practical than he had originally imagined, to be honest. He did not have his car with him, his bike had been left a street away from that Italian restaurant and he had to take her to his home, which was almost ten minutes away, on foot.

This is totally going to work, he thought sarcastically. Sometimes, Ax, you amaze me with your intellectual abilities.

He rejected the idea of spending the night in the garage, knowing that it was a rather cold night and his shop offered no heat, he wasn’t about to let her freeze to death.