C H A P T E R 28

Days passed but for Ax they might as well have been minutes. The concept of time lost its meaning, his mind was lost, stuck in those final moments.

It was hard to believe he was finally free, especially since the chains that bound him to the past would not cut him loose.

"Say goodnight to the bad guy." Mick had whispered to him in those final moments, with blood running down the side of his mouth.

"Now you're quoting 'Scarface'? Now?" The tears hadn't allowed him to see much, their burning qualities made him focus only on the moment. He hadn't understood, at first, but now, looking back, it all made sense.

He had finally said goodnight to the bad guy.

It was over.

Celia found herself dreaming about that dreadful night

Celia found herself dreaming about that dreadful night. She had spent countless hours on their bed, clutching his pillow in her arms, trying to keep him as close to her as she could. The only thing that was there was his scent. Her tears had soaked the soft fabric, staining it with black lines. I love you, please come back to me, she kept whispering, I love you, I love you, I love you...

At some point she had drifted off to sleep, dried tears on her cheeks, his shirt clinging to her body. That's how Ax found her as he finally collapsed.

"Just out of curiosity," The mechanic murmured one night as they were laying in bed

"Just out of curiosity," The mechanic murmured one night as they were laying in bed. "When were you planning on telling me about the baby? Better yet, were you going to tell me?" At times like these, when he grew frustrated for no reason in particular, a vein in his neck would become more prominent and his accent would thicken. It was, perhaps, one of his loveliest quirks.

"Of course I was going to tell you." She sat up on the bed, taking the ebony coloured sheets with her and severing the contact of their naked bodies, "I was just afraid of your reaction." She didn't have to explain her actions any further, they were both aware how fucked up the situation was.

"Let's act like that rotten motherfucker didn't say a word." He suggested, his eyes softer as he eyed her naked stomach. "Is there something you'd like to tell me, Celia?"